Ultimaker model similarity .

Gencab

Posted · Ultimaker model similarity .

As a newbie to 3D printing I have been doing a lot of comparison when it comes to the Ultimaker product line and modifications or tweaks. One thing I constantly run in to is compatibility questions when I find a mod I like or a tweak that may not work for my model. Those of you whom have been around since the early days of Ultimaker probably find this knowledge common but its something that inst simply available without asking a lot of questions.

How similar are the different models of Ultimaker? Before you answer lets consider the following.

Yes they follow the same drive design principles and bowden tube setup. Lets look a little deeper for a more functional answer. How about we ask the following questions. What parts a cross compatible within the different models? So this question is much more complex. There are now five different models available so it will depend on what models we compare.

So lets start with the following before we go any further.

Is there a parts cross compatibility chart in existence?

If yes then we should be able to use this chart to find what mods or tweaks may work in different models. Say for example you have an UMO and you find a printable mod someone has made for a UM2. Its a perfect mod but nothing is available for your model? Perhaps that mod may work but you really wont know unless you print it, measure it, or research it. So I propose information like this would be invaluable to the average user like myself to be able to reference on the fly.

If the answer is no then we have the opportunity to create some very useful information for the community. Breaking the printer components down to simple groups like "Hot end assembly" and "Extruder" then checking off what models will fit another as a drop in replacement will make things very simple.

So what say you community?

There are two platforms, the UMO and the UM2 family.

The majority of parts of the UMO is compatible with the UMO+. The only difference being the motherboard, and the Zstage. Stuff that goes on the frame and hotend are generally interchangeable.

The UM2 family, (UM2, UM2GO, UM2:EXTENDED) use all the same parts, the only difference being the frame. And also the UM2Go has no heated bed. So any mods that works on a UM2 will work on an Extended or 2Go.

Mods will generally work within the same family of UMs. Nozzles, extruders etc all work somewhat differently on UMO vs UM2 so cross family compatibility isn't there. I'm not really sure there's a big need for a compatibility guide if you just go with the family thing.

• Like 1

There are two platforms, the UMO and the UM2 family.

The majority of parts of the UMO is compatible with the UMO+. The only difference being the motherboard, and the Zstage. Stuff that goes on the frame and hotend are generally interchangeable.

The UM2 family, (UM2, UM2GO, UM2:EXTENDED) use all the same parts, the only difference being the frame. And also the UM2Go has no heated bed. So any mods that works on a UM2 will work on an Extended or 2Go.

Mods will generally work within the same family of UMs. Nozzles, extruders etc all work somewhat differently on UMO vs UM2 so cross family compatibility isn't there. I'm not really sure there's a big need for a compatibility guide if you just go with the family thing.

Thanks for the clarification and great explanation of platforms. Certainly helps my understanding. :)