Stopping mid print to change color

lobster2b

Posted · Stopping mid print to change color

is there a command that i can insert in the gcode or by using the ulticontroller to temporarly halt the printing process to change filament?

I got an idea regarding nametags, half would be base, and rest would be raised letters, is there a possibility to do this, or do i need to wait for the correct layer, and change it on the fly?

I've implemented M0/M1 for this in the firmware if you use an LCD panel. See:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23589# ... -655077513

The printing interface in Cura 12.08 also Pauses when it sees a M0 or M1. So it also works from there, but it won't work from PrintRun, as it will send the M0 or M1 to the printer, and the printer will wait for an LCD button push then.

The plan is to add better support for this in Cura. But I haven't done that yet.

Ok

that sounds encuraging.

now how do i use it at the right time?

Do i need to guess where the gcode meets the layer i want to change the color?

and input a M0 command.

How do i resume?

Im planning to do all the printing with the ulticontroller.

Thanks for your reply.

Oh indeed curas gcode have layer comments.. i haven't looked at gcode before. but i ruffly did know what it contained.

so just insert M0 or M1 command, save, copy to sd, print, wait for it to stop, change filament

push button, receive two colored item.

very nice indeed.

my ulti is departed LEIPZIG - GERMANY, so hopefully i have it in my hands around Monday..(Worldwide Express) it shipped on friday.

Looking forward to spend some time with this..

The M0 won't move the head away from the print so I presume you'll have to edit the GCode and add that before the M0, so that you can safely change colour and prime the head without getting plastic all over your print, and then have GCode to return to the correct place after the M0, although this will probably happen anyway if the next command is a start of a layer.