Y U NO PRINT RITE? (Filament "balling up" during travel, causing me pain and anguish)

ciceronian

Posted · Y U NO PRINT RITE? (Filament "balling up" during travel, causing me pain and anguish)

I'm having an issue with a print. I've been trying to get it going all morning, and every time, I have the same problem.

As it travels, a tiny bit of filament comes out (you can see it happen around 0:16 in the video), which then gets in the way of the next layer going down. It only gets worse from there. It also leaves a little bit of filament on the print bed on the way to the next print area.

Settings (doing this for another user who chose the settings):

Layer height - 0.1

Shell thickness - 5.6

Retraction enabled and set to 0 on minimum travel and minimum extrusion

Fill density - 50%

Print speed - 50 mm/s (have tried it at 40 and 30 with the same results)

What I have tried:

- Re-leveling the print bed

- Reducing the temp to 200c

- Atomic method of cleaning the nozzle (was already relatively clean)

- More adhesive on the print bed

Posted · Y U NO PRINT RITE? (Filament "balling up" during travel, causing me pain and anguish)

Thank you for your post.

Usually when the first (or 2) layers are being deployed you should be able to move your finger (or when your heated bed is on) or screwdriver over the print and it should stay on the bed.

Without moving.

The only thing wrong here I think is that the layers are not pressed enough on the bed, so they don't stick. I would not recommend to use more adhesive, although you were in the right area.

I would suggest to level your bed slightly higher. The first layer should be squashed/pressed on to that bed, not gently deployed.

Don't use too much glue on your bed, at some point it won't improve adhesion anymore, and you even have the chance the glue will clock the nozzle (although that is not the case now, lets keep it like that!)