Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
printerfan

Orbbec 3d depth camera

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/orbbec-persee-world-s-first-3d-camera-computer/x/12478538#/story#Quote

I am interested in 3d scanning, skeletal motion tracking, and facial tracking. I found this on indiegogo and it has some quotes by people who apparently know the ends and outs of hacking a kinect.

However, outside of the Orbbec version with the built in computer, what can this do that a Kinect V1 not do?

Is it basically a kinect V1 with a computer built-in and a more open platform?

At the company I work for we modified a kinect for body motion tracking for gait/ stride analysis. We are currently working on single individual tracking so it doesn't get confused with multiple people and a virtual assistant that will talk the customer through a set of stride motions/actions.

I would work with the kinect honestly, its not too much of a step to go from xbox to windows. but if you don't want to go through that trouble then it may be useful for you what are your doing. So the question that should always come first is. What are you using it for. Then What is this worth to me. Then how else could I use this technology. (sell it to other companies, sell the software to people who want to build the same thing, etc)