3D Scanners

adamrw91

Posted · 3D Scanners

The ultimate conversion: real 3D to digital 3D.

I was wondering if anyone here had any insight into 3D scanning. Ive looked at some consumer products that look very pricey and have been looking at some homemade solutions too but they seem quite time consuming and inaccurate. I would really like to have 3D scanner with my ultimaker it would make modifying/upgrading existing things alot easier.

What do you think about the pricy scanners on the market and the DIY types?

Posted · 3D Scanners

I dont yet have a scanning setup but its on my Christmas present list.

Most of the open source stuff looks rubbish to be honest, the problem is you need really

pretty good software to stitch the points into closed surfaces. Its quite easy to do a scan

and get "an STL" file. But it will be more or less worthless.

The only one I have seen that looks viable in real practical terms is:

http://reconstructme.net/projects/recon ... e-console/

But I hasten to add that I have no experience trying this product. Its 300 euro for the software and

the typical use 3D webcam thing between 100 and 200 euro. I think thats about as cheap as it gets

if you actually want relatively accurate useable surfaces. However I could just be falling for the

marketing rubbish, and it could be completely worthless...who knows.

Posted · 3D Scanners

I've seen people use ReconstructMe. It's actually the only thing that I've seen being used with results. But it's limited to the resolution of the Kinect. So it can only scan things that are about "human sized"

I've never gotten usable results from "photo scanners" like 123 catch.

The open source laser line scanner looks nice, but the one I've seen didn't produce any result.

Posted · 3D Scanners

yeah Ive looked at reconstruct me it looks like a better solution than nothing especially since you can pick up a kineckt for around 50 euros in the local classifieds. i think i might give it a try. Otherwise I think i have to wait until some new sort of technology comes or some new sort of cash flow comes!

Posted · 3D Scanners

I've tried two Kinect-based ones on Windows, Reconstructme and KScan3D.

Reconstructme worked well, when I had hardware it was OK with. Unfortunately it was completely incompatible with my two laptops. KScan3D didn't perform as well, but it was more hardware friendly -- as its just come out I'm sure it has been refined a bit.

I was planning on playing with the David Scanner stuff this winter.

All of these are closed source. Reconstructme is free for noncommercial use and the others all have trial licenses.

Posted · 3D Scanners

yes be careful as there is a big list on the Reconstructme website of graphics cards with which it

basically doesnt work. I am having to be careful as it looks like it doesnt like Nvidia quadro cards

very much (which is pretty dumb as they are high end professional graphics cards... :evil: )

Posted · 3D Scanners

Hello,

I´m using a 3D scanner setup with something based on Kinect tech but higher resolution.

The sensor I´m using is a Primesense Carmine 1.09 with Skanect software and it delivers me printable objects within a few minutes. Skanect is great since it has finishing tools inside like making the scan watertight, plane cuts to remove background noise, etc etc. Also you can export full color scans with this and send it off to your full color 3d printing service.

In order to get an even higher resolution output from the sensor I´ve put a +2.5 strong reading glasses on top of it, the amount of detail is crazy with this. This also works for the Kinect but still doesn't deliver the same results as with the carmine with glasses.

The software itself works best with a high end video card with lots of CUDA cores on it, but it's not fully needed. Since the last version (1.3) there is also the option to use CPU instead of GPU to reconstruct the scan. You won't get a good feedback during scanning, but it will record and reconstruct it on a slower pace later on.

This is how I use the sensor:

http://www.phuntec.com/images/3dscanner.jpg

Mounted with some printed feet on the backside of my laptop screen and with it´s glasses on it looks intelligent, right ? ;)

Like this it allows me to walk around a person or object to scan it, planecut, reconstruct, watertight, and withing minutes I have a ready to be printed file.

This is a result a user on the Skanect forums posted:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T8bXTsHdv5c/UU2mB3lDQ6I/AAAAAAAAAJY/wyCGyWZIUzc/s1600/me.hirez.primesense.with.glasses.jpg

it´s a very small investment for this setup and delivers really great results.

Primesense Carmine 1.09 : 200$ http://www.primesense.com/solutions/sensor/

Skanect : 99€ for a commercial license. http://skanect.manctl.com

Posted · 3D Scanners

Hello All,

sorry to bring up an old topic again.

Phuntec, we are wondering how you put the +2,5 lens in front of the Primesense Carmine 1.09 sensor.

We own the Gotcha 3D scanner with the Primesense Carmine 1.09 sensor and use their software.

When we put a lens of a reading glasses in front of it we hardly don't see anything with the scanner anymore.

You have a link to a website but the page doesn't exist anymore.

Do you still have a photo for us?

Best regards,

Mark