Ultimaker2Marlin and Filament Runout Sensor?

reibuehl

Posted · Ultimaker2Marlin and Filament Runout Sensor?

Hi All,

I would like to use a photocell sensor to pause my UM2 when the filament gets close to the end. I noticed that the change notes for Marlin 1.1.0RC2 talks about a feature called FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR. I assume it is not possible to backport that to Ultimaker2Marlin without major changes, am I right?

Best regards,

Reiner

Hi Reiner,

as far as i can see it goes in the same direction like discussed here lately.

It monitors a specified arduino pin and enqueues a "M600" if the input is pulled down to LOW (by any sensor). That would be not a major change - i think.

But there is no activity on the UM2 Marlin repository since July... personally i would not expect such things in the near future...

Hi tinkergnome,

I was thinking about implementing something like this.

If I read the thread that you point to, do I understand it correct, that you have already implemented the code for this in your firmware branch? That would be cool! :)

...do I understand it correct, that you have already implemented the code for this in your firmware branch?

mmmmmh, it seems so... :)

I've only made dry runs, but Guglielmo (@gpb01) was (apparently) successful with it in real life...

I think the tunell sensor is surprisingly expensive, but i probably could take a fancy to the tiny cheap optical sensor...

Connect the three wires to the Ultiboard (EXT I/O aka J23) like here and you're done:

56112694aede9.jpg

Mmmhhhh - personally i think it's cheap enough to give it a try...

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker2Marlin and Filament Runout Sensor?

@tinkergnome:

... I've only made dry runs, but Guglielmo (@gpb01) was (apparently) successful with it in real life ...

:D:D:D... believe me, it works like a charm ;)

You have just to adjust the timeout to avoid "fake positive alert" (default 8 sec. is too short, go to 20/25 sec.) .

I think the tunell sensor is surprisingly expensive, but i probably could take a fancy to the tiny cheap optical sensor...

Yes is expensive but ... the time to make the board, to mount, etc. etc. ... not worth it, better buy it ;)

Guglielmo

P.S.: the only annoying thing is that you need to remember to reset the sensor before each print.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker2Marlin and Filament Runout Sensor?

Yes is expensive but ... the time to make the board, to mount, etc. etc. ... not worth it, better buy it ;)

The photocell sensor comes complete on a board for less than 2 EUR including shipping ;)

For example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Slot-Type-Optocoupler-Module-3-3V-5V-LM393-Comparator-Slot-Type-for-Arduino-DE-/251557847295

Edited by Guest

The photocell sensor comes complete on a board for less than 2 EUR including shipping ;)

For example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Slot-Type-Optocoupler-Module-3-3V-5V-LM393-Comparator-Slot-Type-for-Arduino-DE-/251557847295

Sorry, but you're talking about two different things ...

... with your optocoupler you just detect that the filament is finish/broken.

What the "filament monitor" do is much more complex ... with a "rotary encoder" he detect the movement of the filament (... counting steps per time) and can alert you also if something goes wrong and the filament can't move (e.g. nozzle clogging, filament grinding, etc. ...) !!! ;)

Guglielmo