Print w/ ABS cracked using heated bed

transition

Posted · Print w/ ABS cracked using heated bed

Got my heated bed all hooked up this weekend along with my new abs. Was doing some test prints and came along this problem:

I linked above to the 39 second point where you'll see a crack develop and start to open up. Any clues as to why this might be happening or how to prevent it?

My guess it's the same forces that cause warping. You could reduce the cooling, and increase the temperature a bit so the layers stick better. Or create a heated chamber.

Daid is right, your printing temperature is probably a couple of degrees too low, causing bad layer adhesion. but the same force will also rip your print off the platform if you don't decrease the cooling. try a M106 S64 and see if that helps.

I've been running it without the fan on at all. Could this also be a source of the problem?

Also, i just ran another test and stopped it due to warping and some abs 'booger' buildup in one spot. See the below photo:

2012-10-08_12-47-55_733.jpg

This is on a heated bed, no fan running, running Cura 12.07. Packing density set to .85 and pretty much everything else is default

This is on a heated bed, no fan running, running Cura 12.07. Packing density set to .85 and pretty much everything else is default

yes, you need some cooling. some light 25% fan should help with the goo, and also lowering the speed might help, to give the ABS a chance to solidify.

In addition, the packing density of 0.85 in Cura is (very) wrong: this leads to severe over-extrusion, and no amount of cooling will help you making a nice print. I would suggest to dial it back to something like 0.96, and then adjust the flow if you think you are still over/under extruding.

Joergen,

That was a huge help! Changing the packing density to .96 and setting the fan to run at 25% made a big improvement. Still have a little way to go but those 2 tips were a huge step forward. Thanks