UM Natural Filament Printing Issues

drofnas

Posted (edited) · UM Natural Filament Printing Issues

I seem to be having some issues printing with the UM Natural Filament I purchased a while back. Was wondering if anyone has had any success with this filament, or maybe I've stored it toooooo long (purchased Aug 2014), got a bad batch, or I just need to tweak something else on my printer itself.

Here's a little temperature test I printed to try and see what temp this works best at. Seems like it didn't matter what the temp was, it still had issues. I colored the tips of the overhang issue with black marker, since it was really hard to get a picture of that with this semi-transparent material. You can also see how the material kind of warps upward (better shot of warpage).

This was printed using the "Normal print" settings in Cura 15.04.2. Went from 220F to 190F (bottom to top), in 5deg increments.

um2-filament-natural-temptest.jpg?dl=0&raw=1

Picture of how the fill just seems to fall over (190F, "normal print" settings):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ov0f7978yv5eiby/um2-filament-natural-issue-b-orig.jpg?dl=0&raw=1

This is how I store my material (gallon zip lock + silica gel packs):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye43aizujdvr01m/um2-filament-natural-storage.jpg?dl=0&raw=1

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · UM Natural Filament Printing Issues

Welp, seems I may have used the "Jump to Conclusions" mat on this. Doesn't seem to be a filament issue, but something is wonky with my printer. I just changed over to use the Colorfabb Blueish White filament, which I've used successfully before, and I came back to this:

um2-printing-issues-10262015.jpg?dl=0&raw=1

I had JUST re-leveled the bed too, guess I'll have to sit down and try and figure this out.

I was trying to print a SD Card holder (this one), and I used the Normal Print settings in Cura, plus the default PLA setting of 190F from the Printer Materials type menu (that you choose after changing filament).

Edited by Guest

Posted · UM Natural Filament Printing Issues

I take it you stopped the print before the end?

I think it was printing correctly but you should have either inverted the model in Cura or printed with supports, ( inversion is better ). All that mess on the rear of the print is due to filament being extruded into air without any support, ( it's the clip for the card holder ). Inverting the model would put the top of the object onto the build plate and give support all the way round.

Welp, seems I may have used the "Jump to Conclusions" mat on this. Doesn't seem to be a filament issue, but something is wonky with my printer. I just changed over to use the Colorfabb Blueish White filament, which I've used successfully before, and I came back to this:

um2-printing-issues-10262015.jpg?dl=0&raw=1

I had JUST re-leveled the bed too, guess I'll have to sit down and try and figure this out.

I was trying to print a SD Card holder (this one), and I used the Normal Print settings in Cura, plus the default PLA setting of 190F from the Printer Materials type menu (that you choose after changing filament).

Posted · UM Natural Filament Printing Issues

I take it you stopped the print before the end?...

Yea, I stopped it as soon as I noticed this was all sorts of crapping out. After some atomic pulls, cleaning the bed, and also adding some Brim Support, I was able to print model finally. It was just because the back part was too thin to support itself while printing, so it ended up toppling over and all sorts of bad was happening after that.

um2-natural-filament-sdcardholder.jpg?dl=0&raw=1