Brand New Ultimaker 2 (Right Side Fan - Not Working)

MrTechAgent

Posted · Brand New Ultimaker 2 (Right Side Fan - Not Working)

Hey guys, I received my U2 few days ago, I faced many issues including a clogged nozzle issue and clicking feeder on the first day, I was able to fix those with a slightly altered atomic method.

Anyway, the thing I did notice is that my right side fan does not work and didn't work out of the box. I did my research and checked all connections above the TechFlex above the extruder and couldn't find any loose connections.

The connectors were snapped as they were supposed to. Another thing I wanted to check was if the fans were working or not by soldering leads to a transformer, I tried to unscrew the 4 screws on the shroud but with no success, Ultimaker have used some sort of a thermoplastic adhesive which prevented me from unscrewing and hence I couldn't even check if the fan was dead or was it a PCB connection issue....

My prints are fine but the OCD of not having the fan work is killing me, I hope you guys can help me with this.

BTW - I can upload pictures of the connections above the extruder if you want to see it for yourself, I'm scared to open up the PCB cover right now but if I have no choice, I can do it if someone gave me detailed disassembly instructions.

Thanks!

Okay, so I was able to find the issue, I think.

The genius who assembled my unit was certainly an incompetent fellow.

I have attached pictures, as you can clearly see my dead (Right) side fan wires are completely crushed under the extruder block. My left (Working) fan has nicely tucked away wires hence no issues, of course.

I have contacted my re-seller and he is in talk with Ultimaker to send a new fan.

I have also contacted Ultimaker personally and their service is very unsettling, after multiple E-Mails they responded and still haven't responded to my question which is surprising considering I've heard nothing but good things about Ultimaker Customer Support.

Not sure how I can recommend any Ultimaker stuff to anybody with their poor and sloppy manufacturing errors, pity. FANS.thumb.jpg.9af7bb97bd6fae53cf43c69eac8dd9bd.jpg

Fixed it, here are pictures.

I soldered new leads and then soldered them to the connectors and BAM!, fixed. My fan is resurrected Checkmate Problems.

Ultimaker, although I love your printer. Your support is brutally terrible, be responsive and stand behind your product if you want to make big money. 5a331302c18d1_unnamed(2).thumb.jpg.736e2c63ef1d9210f43aa03d011bc3f8.jpg[/media]5a331302b0eee_unnamed(2).thumb.jpg.c0aa6e860b34ab88af1e8482a1b8c8cd.jpg

Posted (edited) · Brand New Ultimaker 2 (Right Side Fan - Not Working)

Hi @MrTechAgent,

Thank you for your post.

First of all, sorry to hear that the pinched wire was overlooked during assembly.

I am happy to read you managed to solve it, even though I can understand you want to have a new fan to make sure this connection will not interfere with any of your prints?

Could you let me know if that has already been arranged or not?

Secondly, I am sorry to hear you have not received a reply on the emails you have sent.

Could you let me know when you contacted us and what you used to reach us?

As you said, we have been working very hard to get our support up and running and build a good reputation. If there is anything we can improve we would be happy to hear so.

Looking forward hearing from you, thank you and take care.

Enjoy your Ultimaker, and curious to see what you will be making :)

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Brand New Ultimaker 2 (Right Side Fan - Not Working)

Hi @MrTechAgent,

Thank you for your post.

First of all, sorry to hear that the pinched wire was overlooked during assembly.

I am happy to read you managed to solve it, even though I can understand you want to have a new fan to make sure this connection will not interfere with any of your prints?

Could you let me know if that has already been arranged or not?

Secondly, I am sorry to hear you have not received a reply on the emails you have sent.

Could you let me know when you contacted us and what you used to reach us?

As you said, we have been working very hard to get our support up and running and build a good reputation. If there is anything we can improve we would be happy to hear so.

Looking forward hearing from you, thank you and take care.

Enjoy your Ultimaker, and curious to see what you will be making :)

Hi,

I was talking to Zenalda of your team, in fact I finally received her reply 18 hours ago.

I was just upset at how slow the support was, that's it.

I did contact my re-seller and he said Ultimaker has sent in a replacement fan. I'm in touch with my re-seller about that.

Anyway, I thought the forum would be the best place to interact but I was able to solve the issue before I got replies.

I think I was rude above but I just hope you guys do something about the support, because in the end, even if the product is broken, the support and communication will overshadow all of that.

Thanks, Sander.

Edited by SandervG