Stuck Bowden Tube

drofnas

Posted · Stuck Bowden Tube

So it seems my Bowden Tube keeps getting stuck now and stopping the flow of filament after the first layer (or 2). I've successfully heated the hot-end to 260 and removed it, then re-inserted to try again (same result).

Since I can't really print anything right now, should I replace the Bowden Tube, Isolator Coupler, Printer (jk), or something else?

For this last print I had the following settings:

* Material: ColorFabb Blue Grey

* Temp (set in S3D): 205C

* Bed Temp: 60C

* Layer: 0.1mm

* Speed: 30mm/s

* Infill: 50%

Recent Upgrades/Changes:

* Olsson Block w/ 0.8mm Nozzle

* Simplifiy3D - Just started using, had one successful print with it, then this started happening (might just be coincidence).

Right now I'm still using the spring that's part of the original hot-end assembly, the thing that presses on the Isolator Coupler. I was looking to replace it after I install the I2k insulator, with one of those spring replacement widgets (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-spring-replacement-for-i2k). But can't really do that until I fix this issue long enough to actually print something. These are the times I wish I had a second printer ;-)

Thoughts, before I start taking it all apart?

205c is quite cold for a 0.8mm nozzle. Its trying to push heaps of filament through and might be just a bit cold.

When you say the bowden tube is stuck, are you saying you cannot remove it from the machine? or is the filament getting stuck inside?

205c is quite cold for a 0.8mm nozzle. Its trying to push heaps of filament through and might be just a bit cold.

When you say the bowden tube is stuck, are you saying you cannot remove it from the machine? or is the filament getting stuck inside?

I'll try increasing the temp when I wake up tomorrow. I was able to complete a 4 hour print at this temp.

Both. I was unable to Move Material and I couldn't physically remove the Bowden tube from the machine. I had to heat up the hot end to 260 before it would budge. With the tube removed I was able to move the material just fine using the advanced menu on the printer.

I did and atomic pull after I got it unstuck the first time, but that came out clean.

Some times you cant remove the bowden tube if the filament is still in it. even though it retracts at the end of a print there can be a small bit that joins the filament with the plastic still in the nozzle. So its normally easier to increase the nozzle temp, pull filament back then remove bowden tube.

Some times you cant remove the bowden tube if the filament is still in it. even though it retracts at the end of a print there can be a small bit that joins the filament with the plastic still in the nozzle. So its normally easier to increase the nozzle temp, pull filament back then remove bowden tube.

Right, but I couldn't pull the filament back, at least not via the Move Material option in the Advanced menu. Which normally heats the hot end to about 220. Instead I had to heat the hot end all the way to 260, just so I could remove the tube with the material still in it.

When I did the Move Material I could see that it was trying really hard to push/pull the material with no success; even if I physically tried to help push/pull it through the feeder.

It seems it might have just been the Temp thing... I just upped it to 220 for my 0.8mm nozzle. So far it seeeeeeems fine, at least it's not getting stuck like last night. So the stuck bowden looks like it was just a piece of material backing up and increasing in size due to the low temp I was running with my 0.8 nozzle

Will find out in a few hours how well this print goes, but so far so great.