Raspberry Pi and Ultimaker

printerfan

Posted · Raspberry Pi and Ultimaker

I have a raspberry pi with a small monitor, keyboard, and mouse that I want to use to print from via cura. I am not really familiar with linux (raspbian installed on my pi), but I had two quick questions regarding linking my pi to my ultimaker original.

1. What cable do I use to link the pi to my ultimaker? The same cable I use to link my pc to my ultimaker?

2. How do I install cura in raspian linux? I'm a lifelong windows user, so far everything in linux seems weird to me.

Posted · Raspberry Pi and Ultimaker

The official Cura linux builds will not run on the raspberry pi; they require a x86 or x64 ("Intel") CPU. You would have to build/use Cura from the sources, which would be no trivial task on a raspberry pi.

As an alternative to running full Cura on the raspberry pi, you could run Octoprint on the raspberry pi. Works a treat with the UMO! I would not slice objects on a raspberry pi (too slow for me, and not flexible enough for me interface-wise), but it is possible with Octoprint (octoprint can use the CuraEngine for slicing).

If you want to check out OctoPrint on the raspberry pi, I recommend the ready-made OctoPi image:

http://octoprint.org/download/