Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
gadavis99

Support and infill fill %'s wierdness

I can't seem to find this anywhere else - there seems to be a glitch in the support and infill calculations. For both of them, once you go from 24 to 25 %, the number of traces seems to about double. I was trying to make some parts with big overhangs / gap spanning, so changed the support % to 25, and it seemed like a huge change from the default 20%. Re-running, and stepping at 1% intervals, highlights the problem. 25% looks more like 50% or more - has anyone else seen this? Is there some other setting that I need to tweak? I don't want the super-high fill %, but wanted more than 20 - can I get a happy medium?

Thanks for any help and/or pointers!

Gary

if you look closely at the layer view you will see that up to 24% every layer has both crossing directions in one layer. From 25% and up each layer has one direction and therefore the lines are closer together.

So the 24% gets a lot of strength because of the double cross points, and most of the time it is not necessary to fill it more (unless there is a specific reason to do this).