Print fail halfway through

tyscof

Posted (edited) · Print fail halfway through

I am trying to print a fairly long print and it prints beautifully for about a quarter of the way and around the same spot not the same one exactly but within a decent range the print just seems to stop sticking to itself and a layer falls off and starts printing in the air. The model stays on the print bed but a little section will come loose and fall away. I am pretty stumped here. I am assuming this would be most likely due to underextrusion? It is weird though because no other part of the print is underextruded at all. Any ideas? I am using ic3d abs (pretty great stuff) and slurry. (0.1mm z) and 230*C I checked the teflon coupler and it was looking pretty bad, I didn't have a spare (not sure where I can even buy them) so I chopped off part of the end and sanded it flat and it seems to be fineIMG_1515.thumb.JPG.9178b52137a2b39e16248133ad3104d9.JPG

IMG_1515.thumb.JPG.9178b52137a2b39e16248133ad3104d9.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Print fail halfway through

Looking at the one on the left it looks like you have shifted layers.

You can read how to fix it HERE

They aren't shifted layers that was an example of how the layers fall off during the print I just threw it back on top, sorry for the confusion and thanks for the tip.

Looking at the one on the left it looks like you have shifted layers.

You can read how to fix it HERE

They aren't shifted layers that was an example of how the layers fall off during the print I just threw it back on top, sorry for the confusion and thanks for the tip.

OK Cool.

Well It could be a problem with the Z axis as it could be dropping a bit causing an under-extruded layer. Some people have had there stepper motors over heat causing similar issues. Or could need a good clean and grease.

Is the problem only on this model? Have you looked at the model in X-ray mode to see if there are any issues shown in red?

Do you hear the feeder skip back during the layer that doesn't stick?

230deg seems quite low for ABS, I don't print with ABS but its normally printed around 250 - 260 from what I have seen.

The PTFE coupler needs to be very straight or it will not sit flat against the nozzle. this can cause a few issues. I would suggest that you head over to 3D Solex and replace it with a High Temp coupler that is more suited for ABS.

So I upped the temperature to 240 and that seemed to do the trick for that part, a temporary fix for sure since this abs is supposed to be easily printable at 230. Strangely enough most abs I see now days has moved over to the 230C instead of the 260C. Not sure what is different about it but it works a charm. Anyway I got that part to print out so I started on the second part and curiously enough there was 2 underextruded layers close to where the other parts failed. I added some grease to all the axis and printing out now at 240 hopefully I can finish these parts up before needing the new teflon. Also no errors in X-ray

Well it failed again here I aborted it and took a picture of the top, I think you may be right about the z axis. Also roughly same place as last time. IMG_1516.thumb.JPG.415dd9b5a7a727f47df1818df8ecfb29.JPG

IMG_1516.thumb.JPG.415dd9b5a7a727f47df1818df8ecfb29.JPG