Faulty material

DanH

Posted · Faulty material

We have a "bad batch" of PLA and supposedly "good material" is on backorder. Does anyone have recommended settings for the "bad batch" that is having issues to make it work. I am noticing that it has a wide range of properties depending on the section of the spool. In some sections it is flexible and others very brittle. I keep having issues with the material breaking / snapping which stops the nozzle feed.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted · Faulty material

I saw the same thing. One foot good, the next foot bad. There's nothing you can do - the brittle portions crack in the bowden near the top and then when they get to the head they get stuck a certain percentage of the time (30%? 20%? 10% - it doesn't matter - it's too often).

Throw it all out. The problem is the curve in the bowden - if you could straighten that you'd be all set. For a UMO you can hang the feeder on a rope suspended above the printer and have the bowden be straight. Not so easy with a UM2. Or you could donate it to someone who has no bowden on their printer - e.g. maybe a delta printer.

I see you are in USA. I recommend you get a few rolls of colorfabb from printedSolid.com until you are back in business with good filament. I also recommend you speak on the phone with someone at UM support - their english is stunningly excellent. Call early in the morning before noon east coast of USA, before 9am west coast of usa. Find out the facts of if this is fixed and these are just old batches - people are more likely to give you a more truthful answer over the phone versus though email I believe.