Same print: ABS ok, but not PLA

RERUAX

Posted · Same print: ABS ok, but not PLA

Hi, I'm trying to print the same pieces in ABS (white ones) and PLA (blue ones). The file is the same, and it works perfectly with ABS, but not whith the PLA (see picture).

Any ideas?

Thank you in advanced

Ricardo

>

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Same print: ABS ok, but not PLA

Hi Rerurax, welcome !:) A little bit more information would really help (e.g. Ultimaker Version, Settings for the 2 Prints, like speed, temperature etc.). Was ABS printed first, then PLA?

Edited by Guest

Hi Rerurax, welcome !:) A little bit more information would really help (e.g. Ultimaker Version, Settings for the 2 Prints, like speed, temperature etc.). Was ABS printed first, then PLA?

Sure!

I printed first PLA, in an Ultimaker 2, with basic settings in fast print. Both materials are originals.

Thank you

ok. Are those your first prints? It looks like underextrusion.

Have you tried PLA after the ABS again? So you know that you print PLA at around 205, 210 and ABS at around 230>? Also, try not to print to fast just to make sure.

When switching filaments (ABS, PLA and back), make sure that you try to clear out any residue of the previously printed filament by using the atomic pull method or at least by extruding the new filament until you get a clean feed of the new filament.

When switching to ABS from PLA make sure the rest of PLA is not for too long in the hot nozzle as PLA could burn completly and block then nozzle, so perform the switch rather quick. Also of course residues of ABS will only be swept out of the nozzle when using 230 first while feeding PLA manually. Until the switch is complete and then immediately reduce the temperature.

How does your PLA filament look like after the print, do you see any strange grinding marks on the part that went trough the feeder? Or are the marks almost not visible? Could be an indication for the underextrusion.

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw that you are using the quick - print settings... so my comments are still valid but you can not see the temperature in CURA which I guess you are using?

Edited by Guest

I printed first PLA, in an Ultimaker 2, with basic settings in fast print. Both materials are originals.

Thank you

If you print with the fast settings of legacy Cura you have to increase the printing temperature at the machine. That's why your PLA print is completely underextruded. I recommend you try another quickprint setting such as normal and/or change to full settings.

@Dim3nsioneer, really, legacy fast is 50 mm/s at 210 right? Is this too fast for an UM2? :)

Well, 50mm/s is the standard speed. However, the fast quick profile has special speeds which go up to 100mm/s (infill) and the whole thing at 0.15mm layer height. That is too much for an UM2 with standard settings 210°C IMHO. It will deplete the nozzle. Don't forget the UM2 only has a 25W heater, not a 40W as the UMO. And it has a rather different underextrusion behavior (the UMO flow gets thinner, the UM2 flow begins to stutter).

Edited by Guest

hä! you never learn out as we say ;) Thanks!

Ok, thank you both for your answers! This days I'll be far from the printer, but when I come back, I'll try it!

TY again