Holes for limit switches are too big.

hcb_kd

Posted · Holes for limit switches are too big.

Hi already on my first step of assembly, I have encountered a problem:

The holes which the 6 limit switches should be mounted in are way too big for the M3x10s to fit. Anyone has a good idea on how to make the holes smaller?

Sure: See the attached image.

But I ended up going down to the hardware store and bying some more 16mm M3s, with nuts, so I could attach them on the backside of the plywood. Does you think it will be a bad idea?

Umm well its slightly tricky to see exactly whats going on from that picture, but I think this is what has happened.

The bolts are supposed to screw INTO the black plastic limit switch body. You are trying to pass the bolt through the switch, through the wooden frame and have enough sticking out for a nut.

The threads into the black limit switches are not very good, its extremely easy to strip them. And I have heard of

people getting them with holes big enough in teh switch that the threads dont grip at all.

So if your bolting right through doesnt foul anything moving inside the machine (check the wooden blocks for XY axis movement). Then it might be a good way to do it anyway.

Hi

You're absolutely right, I've assembled it the wrong way, and now that I found out I can't belive I didn't think of that.. I'll try the correct way, and then use bolts, in case I have already messed up the threads..

thanks!