Heater Error message, don't know what's wrong!

tasopoulos

Posted · Heater Error message, don't know what's wrong!

Hi all. I've been getting the Heater Error message on my UM2 lately. I had installed the Olsson block a couple of months ago, and I've had no problems whatsoever up until last week, when I got the Heater Error for the first time. I noticed that the temp sensor was loose inside the block (I pulled it from the back and it came right off), so I tightened the screw on the block and I thought my problem was solved. But the next day, after about an hour into the print, I got the dreaded Heater Error message again. This time the sensor was firmly fixed inside the block. I've been using izzy's shroud (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-fan-duct-v2) and the stock 25W heater. I'm printing with PLA at 210C and using Cura 15.04.4.

Hi :)

It could be caused by air from the fans hitting the block and causing a sudden drop of temperature (this will raise the ERROR).

Is the fan shroud still okay (not melted?), does it happen when the print head is close to the bed with fans at 100% ?

Sometimes the error happens if it starts printing a flat area which deflects the air flow towards the nozzle or heater block. I would really recommend either dropping the fan speed or getting a 35w heater.

Order the 35w heater and while you wait for it to arrive print with fans at around 75% maximum.

Ultimately you would benefit with faster heat up times. Faster printing abilities and not have to worry about temp errors with 35w heater.

• Like 1

Thanks, already ordered one from @DidierKlein. But isn't it weird that the error message started appearing a couple of months after installing the Olsson block?

Yeah but it can be print design dependant. A area where the fans airflow is deflected towards the nozzle long enough to cause the error.

I had the same issue where it happened a few weeks after changing my fan shroud.

Could be that the temp sensor is not sitting in a slightly different spot then before maybe. Or have you upgraded firmware recently?

Posted (edited) · Heater Error message, don't know what's wrong!

Thanks again @Labern. I started using the fans at 70% and it looks to be working fine so far (I will, of course, install the 35W heater as soon as it arrives).

I don't think this is related to the aforementioned problem, but I also started noticing that my first layer looks like this (it looks like it's transparent on a specific portion of the bed):

20160130_012733064_iOS.thumb.jpg.3d25e109dfe12e5492636642163de08e.jpg

This is only on the first layer, all the other ones look ok:

20160130_013145314_iOS.thumb.jpg.db937240ec7eb40eb4f61cb7b424dea2.jpg

Any ideas?

20160130_012733064_iOS.thumb.jpg.3d25e109dfe12e5492636642163de08e.jpg

20160130_013145314_iOS.thumb.jpg.db937240ec7eb40eb4f61cb7b424dea2.jpg

Edited by Guest

Its bed leveling. just lower the front screws a little and it should be fine.

Thank you once again, @Labern. Oh, and congrats on the 2nd place :)

Thanks. Im very happy. :)