Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Simian

Optimizing Support Material

Hi new to the forums and new to printing,

I'm printing out CT scans of human vertebra, and I'm using support structures in Cura to stabilize the print. The problem I'm running into is that when I go to pull of the supports they mostly come off, but they leave a bit of material where they were attached. It's not too bad, but I thought I'd come to the forums to see if anyone had some ideas for optimization. Unfortunately I don't have pictures on me right now, but here are the settings I've been using.

- Start off with Cura set to basic - Ultiprint, than switch to full settings (so most settings are those of Ultiprint), then I make the following adjustments to those settings:

- Layer height = .1

- Shell thickness = 1.2

- Bottom/Top thickness = .6

- Fill density = 20

- Print speed = 20

- Support Data = touching build plate, lines, overhang angle = 40

- Raft turned on

- initial layer thickness = .3

- Minimal layer time = 20

- Combine everything type A turned off

Additionally, I'm using blue 2.75mm PLA ultimaker filament, the .4 nozzle, and the print temperature set 185F. Like I said, the problem isn't too bad, but I'm hoping that the experts here have some tips and tricks up their sleeves.

Thanks!

Supports can always be a bit of an issue with complicated shapes. There are more support options in Cura 1.99 and i find support roof of 80% can give a really nice finish but this normally only helps on flat surfaces.

I would recommend using a smaller nozzle size like .25 as this makes supports a whole lot easier to remove as it is finer strands. being smaller the print time is longer but you can speed up the print speed a bit and you can keep the .1mm layer height a the 3 x shell thickness ( 0.75mm ), so overall the time is not effected to much.

another option is to use supports generated by mesh mixer. it has a different approach and you can add and remove where you think its needed.