Unnecessery travel lines please help

audioglass

Posted · Unnecessery travel lines please help

Hi,

I am currently printing 3D-printed Watch with Tourbillon - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1249221

I have a very strange amount of travel lines when trying to print the SpringRelaxed.stl - http://www.thingiverse.com/download:1953093

I am using Cura 15.10 (1.99.0-dev) with Windows 7 64bit, I5 proccessor, 32Gig RAM.

Please see attached image for the crazy travel lines in red. I have imported the CURA generated gcode into Simplify3D to better illustrate the line for you to see.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Maybe I clicked a setting without realising it?

Spring-Relaxed.thumb.jpg.2bc73a7c38aeff9645da0d59f80a39d9.jpg

Spring-Relaxed.thumb.jpg.2bc73a7c38aeff9645da0d59f80a39d9.jpg

Note from the model text which I assume is your problem??

The Mainspring is printed with PETG (PLA probably breaks after a while). I switched off "combing" in Cura. While this is a cool feature for regular shaped parts, it causes problems with large spiral shaped parts: The print-head does many useless long (2 meters!) travelling moves. Printing not only takes 30% longer, it oozes during the move, and when continuing to print, the nozzle is empty of material, and the resulting under-extrusion is disastrous.

Hmmm. Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately it didn't do anything. Coasting was indeed enabled. Now its disabled I have exactly the same crazy travel lines that do not print anything, but ooze mess everywhere.

Some bugs? its riddled as are all versions that i have tried. I have absolutely no idea what is the latest stable version. The download page is 15.04 yes I tried that too. But I have over extrusion issues with that version.

Cura doesn't follow traditional version control naming conventions.

example I open 15.10 then check the about which says 15.09.90 I dont know which version it is.

The version i used most says 15.10 (again) but in the about it says 1.99.0-dev again which version am I running? I have no idea.

Anyway I finally got it printing. Some classic traits that I have noticed with Cura... I re enabled it then disabled it and it still didn't work. closed cura, tried again and it still didn't work. Done this a few times including slicing failing a few times. Took about half an hour repeating the same steps and it worked.

Damn Cura. So buggy.

Ok I have just loaded the spring into Cura and it is fine - not a single travel line.

I run 15.05.02; I think 15.05.04 is the last version of the old software. I suggest for the moment you run one of those two, they certainly are clean versions and yes they may have a bug or too but I have never noticed any nor had Cura crash.

If you still have a problem after loading the older version of Cura then please post pics of your settings so we can try to help - basic tab, advanced tab and expert settings.

...and if you are having over extruding problems then with the settings we can help and also a pic of the printed piece would be useful

The versioning is absolutely shot with Cura. I cannot make any sense of what is new or what is old when the software itself says its two different versions?

15.05.04 is the last version of the old software The website tell us to download 15.04.

When I load some of my more complex models which need detail I find that it crashes every time until it decides not too. What I mean by this is if I load the model, then it crashes while slicing I close Cura then try again. I repeat this until it finally gets past the slicing stage. The settings are never changed. I change all settings before opening the model because of the silly auto slice feature which has cost me hours and hours closing and re trying.

Suggest you use 15.04 - sorry I typed it wrong above - never heard of 15.05. If you still get crashes then I would be suspicious of your laptop or whatever, I have never experienced Cura crashing, neither have I seen many posts on the forum over the years about a stable version (which is 15.04) crashing - I do though not go to the leading edge and try the betas, or even the latest release until it is clear that it is stable

...and as I said if you post settings and maybe a pic we can help you with any over-extrusion - just saying you suffered over-extrusion does not help us help you :)

I've just printed the same part using Cure 15.04.

Turn combing OFF - quite important. Then it prints a treat. I used translucent PLA, reckoning that it is stronger than the coloured stuff. Got the clock working for about 5 minutes at a time.

It's a challenge, the holes must be drilled very carefully otherwise the drill bits melts the plastic.