UM2+ Heat Enclosure.

Posted · UM2+ Heat Enclosure.

Hey all.

So here I am in the middle of a 16 hour print in my room with my computer... my god it's hot.

I have a ceiling fan, but im too afraid to turn the sucker on and ruin the print. So I got to thinking

about enclosures. Looked around and saw a few neat ones online. Actually looking to build this door now:

IMG_1447_preview_featured.JPG

Also looking at these feet to help keep the under belly cool:

2014-08-18_22.25.59_2_preview_featured.jpg

But as i read a few post, over heating on the motors can be an issue? They are already hot to the touch as is.

So I go to wondering.. on the side panels where you can clearly see the motor area... why aren't there any kind of fans? Even the small ones would be a big help. perhaps even a heat sink area on the motors. Can we buy side panels for the ultimaker 2+?

For the top I was thinking about simply extending it a little bit with some clear panels and leaving the top open just to block drafts. With those upgrades and the heated bed it shouldnt be much of a problem?

Posted (edited) · UM2+ Heat Enclosure.

In general the motors are no issue, they can handle a lot of heat. Exception is the feeder motor, here the motor can transfer the heat to the filament in the feeder causing melting/grinding. This is solved in the UM2+ due to the indirect connection from motor to filament, I placed the feeder+motor outside of the box.

In my experience with a full enclosed UM2 (with E3Dv6 + ABS), the cooling of the hot end is a bigger issue when the heat inside the box gets to much (+/- >50c ?). I solved it by simply drilling a few holes in my top  cover...

Here's what I use;

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-minimalist-front-panel

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker2-top-cover-clips

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker2-rail-system-u2rs

Edited by Guest