Posted (edited) · Holes at start & stop location of each layer

Hello everyone,

I am trying to fine tune my ABS settings for my UM2. I print with:

0.7 nozzle

0.25 layer height

20 percent fill

260 degree head

90 degree bed

I set the speed and temperature to 80 mm/s in Cura, and always turn it down to 80% on my UM2.

I have the following problem (dont know the name for it):

IMG_3356.thumb.JPG.2d75650c2b07e160bfbe8d4e88648b9d.JPG

I guess these dents are where one string starts and ends on each layer. What is the name for this problem and what can I do to avoid this?

IMG_3356.thumb.JPG.2d75650c2b07e160bfbe8d4e88648b9d.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Holes at start & stop location of each layer

I had the same problem once. For me it was caused by the sideways motion of the printer so i think you could try lowering the speed a little. Altough the time I had it I was using PLA. I am just trouble shooting not sure tough. also you could try to use the 0.6 nozzle

• Like 1

Hi Neotko,

I am not talking about the overhang region (?), but the face quality of my print (all the dents and stuff). These occur everywhere, overhangs dont have an influence on it.

I had the same problem once. For me it was caused  by the sideways motion of the printer so i think you could try lowering the speed a little. Altough the time I had it I was using PLA. I am just trouble shooting not sure tough. also you could try to use the 0.6 nozzle

Im giving this a shot as we speak!

• Like 1

The little blobs are mostly because temp + z change and speed. There are tools to reduce that like coasting or wipe while retracting. I would also check the z middle rod for green lube to remove some of the z lines.

I keep having this problem on my other ultimaker too. I am using Cura to generate the gcode. Does anyone have other ideas I could try?

- printing at 70% speed didnt help

- printing at 240 degrees (instead of 260 degrees) also did not help

Blobs are always at the exact same location which other settings. I guess I need some other settings for the start and ending of a layer?

5a3318e5af05d_IMG_3371(1).thumb.JPG.c7dd2cb9f0fd1938cf9f46b599952685.JPG

5a3318e5af05d_IMG_3371(1).thumb.JPG.c7dd2cb9f0fd1938cf9f46b599952685.JPG

Edited by Guest

Try to reverse the infill print order. So it prints the outside first, and the inside last, this should help to remove that Z scar because when it changes Z the hotend should be inside the print and not outside. S3D has an option to 'retract' while changing Z that in conjunction with wipe while retracting and combing makes the Z scar almost almost disappear.

1.9x new Cura beta has a combing option that should also help remove the amount of filament on the nozzle when it does the z change (to remove the blob). But it's beta so it's a complete different user interface etc.

Edited by Guest

Did you change your nozzle settings in cura? Just checking.

Have you tried with other types of abs? (different color or brand)

It can be that it are some inconsistencies in the filament.