Dissoluble Metal Ball Fixture.

cleven

Posted (edited) · Dissoluble Metal Ball Fixture.

These machined metal spheres will dissolve most liquids. Acid, water and even air will break these down.

The test shown in the video was in a 15% concentrate of acid.

I was hoping the sphere would stay seated in the printed stand for the filming, but the ball took off with the violent reaction. Eventually gas attached to the sides and floated the plastic.  You can even see the ball start to float from the creation of gas. The exothermic reaction created about 80C of heat.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Dissoluble Metal Ball Fixture.

I was testing some unstable metals that are designed to dissolve over a few days in water/oil or in a few minutes in acid. They are mostly used in oil well operations where you can drop a ball and flow fluid down with to set or shift something the ball hits against. Once done you can simply leave the ball/sphere for a few days or a few minutes depending on the fluid around and it will dissolve/reduce, or be brought back up to the surface with flow.

I printed the black stand for the ball with a side vent, but it ended up too violent and it just blew off the stand and didn't really do its job. Eventually the amount of gas created just caused the ball to float. It did not effect the test, just made it difficult to film/document.

I think I need a little bit of help.. what am I looking at right now? :p

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 20 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies