Tomy Giant Robot scaled to 35 % of its original size

boogo123

Posted (edited) · Tomy Giant Robot scaled to 35 % of its original size

This is probably the worlds FIRST 100 % copy of a Vintage Toy Robot printed in 3D.

Tomy Giant Robot was made in 1962 in Japan.

I scaled back the robot to 35 % of its original size.

More info at my website:  Vintagespacetoys

Printed on UM2+

Total printingtime: 65 hours.

MarcoDSC_1151.thumb.JPG.09167948ecc7d91c4e153024a9e991ec.JPG

DSC_1151.thumb.JPG.09167948ecc7d91c4e153024a9e991ec.JPG

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Tomy Giant Robot scaled to 35 % of its original size

I cannot seem to find anything about a printed robot on your website other than the information already printed here. Could you be more specific?

I cannot seem to find anything about a printed robot on your website other than the information already printed here. Could you be more specific?

What information do you need ! ? :)

Marco

@boogo123 the thing is that there's nothing really related to 3d printing on the topic.

You just link to your website (which is ok) but it looks a lot like self promotion. So please can you maybe tell more about what you did, maybe add some pictures (here), and tell us how you achieved your printed robot.

This way your topic doesn't contain only self-promotion but also usefull information for other users ;) feel free to contact me or other moderators if you need more information.

Didier

• Like 1

Hello Didier,

I understand but for me it was just to show what is possible to create with high end scanning of objects.

so far i have not seen much of these high resolution complicated scans where all the details are kept in the 3D file and came out the same way from a 3D printer.

So i wanted to share here what is possible to print, not taken from the web but build it myself from the start.

I dont want to share the files public but i hope its ok to show the result here :-)

Marco

Hello Didier,

I understand but for me it was just to show what is possible to create with high end scanning of objects.

so far i have not seen much of these high resolution complicated scans where all the details are kept in the 3D file and came out the same way from a 3D printer.

So i wanted to share here what is possible to print, not taken from the web but build it myself from the start.

I dont want to share the files public but i hope its ok to show the result here :-)

Marco

If you do not want to share the files, that is understandable. However, we would like to know more about the steps, process and end result. What did you use to scan and how did you do it? Did you need to do anything with the files before printing? How did the printing go and how were the results?

As it stands, we have one picture from quite a distance. This community thrives on detail and others' experiences :)

Hello Didier,

With a lot of patience I was able to catch all the parts seperate in 3D files with a 3D scanner. Not much modifications were made afterwards. Every part took me about 2 days to scan, over and over again just as long it had to take to catch all the details. The files are serious in size, most of them are 100 MB or bigger, which means a lot of detail were captured.

Than the dimensions were brought back to 35 % of the original size, loaded in Cura and printed on my 2 printers, ( UM 2 + )

Because the objects are very difficult to scan, they are very symetric, most of the scans had to be adjusted manually. I made my own program and software to do this to make sure all the scans form a perfect mesh at the end. automatic software is not able to mesh the scans together.

The results are really stunning ! and i have not seen many similar projects on the web.

Non of the files were drawn or adjusted, 100 % pure scans of the original parts.

Printed with 0.4 nozzle with 0.1 layer...

Only the body needs over 16 hours printing time. Total printing time for this robot is 65 hours.

I added some extra detailed pics.

Hope this info helps

MarcoDSC_1166.thumb.JPG.e659a704ddef303c4df20c6581b78481.JPG[/media][/media][/media][/media][/media]

I added some extra pics