Photogrammetry / PC configuration (tips)

fergazz

Posted · Photogrammetry / PC configuration (tips)

Hi ultimaker fellows!

I`m starting into photogrammetry and I don`t know which PC configuration choose. I`m more than a month trying to find some reference about it without to much success. I will use to create 3d printed miniatures, 20 to 100 microns, ex: cars, people, yachts, animals, babies, etc. and maybe for VR and industrial solutions in a near future (update system in 2-3 years). I suppose to start to work with a maximum of 2000 photos with 15M each per project.

My main doubt is relative to processor. based on the cost-benefit, what configuration will give me a balance between performance and longevity?

(1) Wich processor should I chose?

i7 5820K LGA 2011 v3 (SIX-CORE) 12 threads / CACHE 15MB / 22nm;

i7 6600k (skyline)LGA 1151 (QUAD) 8 threads / CACHE 8MB / 14nm;

i7 4790k LGA 1150 (QUAD) 8 threads / CACHE 8MB / 22nm;

i5 6600K (skyline) LGA 1151 (QUAD) 4 threads / CACHE 6MB / 14nm;

PS* Other PC components: SSD 250GB + DDR4 2400 16Gb RAM (upgrade next 2-3 years) + HD 2T + GTX 970 4GB 256bit (maybe upgrade SLI next 2-3years)

(2) Should I invest less in Video Cards (sted down to GTX 960) and focus at Intel six-core processors and/or SSD?

(3) What should I consider about performance increase?

(4) Cinebench is a good benchmark source to use as a performance parameter for photogrammetry?

Any help or tip will be welcome...

Cheers,

fergazz

Posted · Photogrammetry / PC configuration (tips)

Most photogrammetry software improves a lot with better GPU as they use OpenCL. Also lots of photos need a lot of memory. I would start with 32GB memory.