luisito

ColorFabb XT Clear, auto-adherence problem

Posted · ColorFabb XT Clear, auto-adherence problem

I have tried the Colorfabb XT Clear filament.

Until now I am getting disappointing results. :-(

Major problem I have found is auto-adherence being very low.

First layer sticks fine to the platform, using an adhesive, but any other layer on top does not adhere to the previous layer.

I have tried different temperatures, from 200 to 230 (220 is recommended by Colorfabb).

have tried with different layer thickness from 0,200 to 0,060. Colorfabb recommends 0,2 layers or above.

Speed set from 30 to 40.

Tested Infill, from 20% to 80%.

All I get is a mess of filament over the first bottom layers as there is no adherence at all.

Am I missing any factor ?

fans on 50% or lower

Its not a very easy filament to print with and I have stopped using it because of these issues. Bed temp needs to be quite height as well. It needs to stay quite warm while printing for the layers to have strong adhesion.

Thanks for your advice. I have found as well that setting extruder to 0.3 on Cura improves things a lot. And printing at 15mm/s. Anyway quality i get with this filament is below my minimum standards.

Yes. I find nGen a whole lot nicer to print with and gives nice strong results with good appearance.

You also don't get the brown burnt bit coming off in your print like you do with XT

I have already used nGen Black. I can get amazing detailed parts with this filament. It is pretty consistent at a large range of temperatures.

For some parts I dont want the high polished finish of nGen, and have used Tamiya TS80 "Flat Clear" to apply a matte finish, with success.

nGen is one of the best general purpose filaments I have tried lately,