How the ultimaker deal with emergency situation?

swq0603

Posted · How the ultimaker deal with emergency situation?

Sometimes I print large model which is time consuming. It is impossioble I sit besides the machine all the time. So I just want to leave it working when I leave the office at night and check when I am back. But I am just worry whether the machine can deal with some emergency situation. For example, the motor is blocked, or the motor is too hot then cannot work, or the hot end/temp sensor cannot work during the printing... They are just my assumptions. But previously I always print during my working time, so even there is some issues with the printer, I can find ASAP. For Ultimaker2, is there some self-protection design for the mainboard or the firmware?

Posted · How the ultimaker deal with emergency situation?

There is protection for the heaters. If there is a problem with the temp sensor the it will stop the machine, alarm and cut the power to the heater.

The machines a pretty safe and I leave mine going all night all the time.

The main problem is if you enclose the printer unsafely, but if its in it natural state then i don't think you have anything to worry about

if you are still concerned there is a unit that you install above the printer that has a smoke alarm that cuts power to the printer if it detects smoke. Its not for sale any more but you maybe able to rig something up.

Posted (edited) · How the ultimaker deal with emergency situation?

Thank you Labern for the information. Then I think the machine can handle the sensor and the heater error. What about the motor? If the motor is blocked, it will run until burned out, right? Since I hit this issue previously, I printed 3 models, but 1 fall down from the bed to the bottom. When the printing is finished, the machine try to make the bed touch the z-stop, but the bed is blocked by the model. Fortunately, I heard that the motor is blocked and turn off the machine.

There is protection for the heaters. If there is a problem with the temp sensor the it will stop the machine, alarm and cut the power to the heater.

The machines a pretty safe and I leave mine going all night all the time.

The main problem is if you enclose the printer unsafely, but if its in it natural state then i don't think you have anything to worry about

if you are still concerned there is a unit that you install above the printer that has a smoke alarm that cuts power to the printer if it detects smoke. Its not for sale any more but you maybe able to rig something up.

Edited by Guest