oversize prints

3ddave

Posted · oversize prints

hi,

when I make a print the overall size is approximately 10% larger on the x and y dimentions to those shown when I scale the print, the z size is just about right. is there any way that I can rectify this to give a more accurate print.

thanks

dave

Posted · oversize prints

10% sounds like a lot.

Which printer do you use? Which plastic? Temperature? Other settings? How big is the part you're printing? Does it always happen, or just with certain models?

Posted · oversize prints

hi Robert,

sample part size that I drew on sketchup. not sure of the printer manufacturer its a marlin, rep rap, ultimaker clone, I use cura 15.04 and get the same results with both abs and pla set to their recommended temps.

Posted (edited) · oversize prints

hi Robert,

sample part size that I drew on sketchup. not sure of the printer manufacturer its a marlin, rep rap, ultimaker clone, I use cura 15.04 and get the same results with both abs and pla set to their recommended temps. the model size should be 24 x 39 x 7.5 but comes out at 28 x 44 x 7.5.

I think it has ramps hardware, I bought the printer 2nd hand and have no information with it.

Edited by Guest
    additional information

Posted · oversize prints

Sounds like the number of steps for the X and Y isn't calibrated well. What does the top layer of the print look like, is it fully closed up or is it more like a cross-hatch type thing?

I would try using Pronterface to move the head 10mm in X and then measure exactly how long it actually travels. Same for Y. And then try modifying the settings accordingly:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M92:_Set_axis_steps_per_unit

Posted · oversize prints

hi Robert,

success! when I 1st put the new settings in the machine they kept getting overwritten by cura when I sent the print to the machine, but following your lead and a lot of experimentation I managed to add some programing to the start of the g code and now my prints are true to scale and I have gained a lot more experience

thanks again

dave