Loud popping from the feeder after Ultimaker 2+ upgrade

Posted · Loud popping from the feeder after Ultimaker 2+ upgrade

So I recently upgraded my ultimaker 2 to the 2+ and now I am getting a loud popping/clicking sound from the feeder when I am printing. It does not happen all the time just once in a while. It reminds me of the when the filament would slip on the ultimaker 2 but a lot louder. Any ideas?

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of having issues with my upgrade, (underextrusion)......

make sure the gears are lined up in the feeder and that the feeder is flush top and bottom. did you place a little grease on the gears?

Alright removed and checked alignment. I also went ahead and Fixed my settings. I slowed down my printing and took the layer height down a bit to make sure I was not forcing too much filament through at once. Going to run it again.

Alright after working on this all day I figured out that when I installed the feeder I pushed the little plastic gear on the feeder motor back. I did not even realize that it would move. So the loud popping noise was the small gear slipping off of the big one because it was not touching it all the way. Hopefully this can help someone else. Maybe I was the only dumb one haha.

• Like 1

That can do it, let me know how you get on with your printing, I'm having issues with mine and its under extruding after 9 hours of installation.....(not high jacking your forum). have a look at my problem and let me know what yours does.

Posted (edited) · Loud popping from the feeder after Ultimaker 2+ upgrade

I'll have to check it out. I'm having similar problem - posted here. Check the end for video - though the video only shows the slightest bit. I have the printer upstairs, but could hear it knocking every once in a while from downstairs.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20652-pinpointing-under-extrusion-problem

Maybe I messed up the gears on the install.

Edited by Guest

AGH! So that is the problem - Not sure how to fix it because neither gear on my ultimaker seems to be able to move in or out, but if I turn the little slotted silver head on the back of the feeder it's causing the same issue - but skipping every 1/4 turn or so. Maddening because everything appears to be snug. I'm going to pull the feeder off again to see if I can get them closer - but I don't see how I can.

Edited by Guest

Okay - I took off the feeder and did some measurements.

if my feeder is flat/flush against the metal plate on the back

As it turns out - overlap between the two gears is barely 1/32" (around .8mm) - so any shimmy at all and the thing skips.

So Ultimaker crew - we need a new gear, or some alternative solution. I'd print one to go over the old one - but at the moment I can't print.

Edited by Guest

I just fixed my under extrusion problem......after getting a replacement feeder from UM and not fixing it. I swapped back to the old system and strangely fixed it! so my printer is working after 3 weeks of being broken! so I think the feeder system needs fine tuning....... back to the drawing board UM.

• Like 1

Hey - I pulled the gear off and put a washer behind it and now my UM2+ is printing beautifully. No popping, grinding or under extrusion. The washer pushes the large gear so it's almost against the metal plate on the back of the UM body, so I put a little grease on it as a precaution.

gear-fix.thumb.jpg.6a4172fda872f79b67c823d42b6963f2.jpg

gear-fix.thumb.jpg.6a4172fda872f79b67c823d42b6963f2.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1