Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
dree

UM2+ fanspeed setting

Hi,

Just bought a UM2+ and discharged the original.

I tried to find this here but no luck. I don't understand the fan speed settings.

I lowered the fan speed for ABS in the line of the Material.txt and imported it back into the printer, that worked.

Now if I'm printing the fans go right up to 100% again on the second layer and I have to change it manualy on the machine again.

So my questions:

Do I have to change the fan speed setting in Cura ?

And if so, what is that setting on the machine for?

Groet Dree

Hi Dree,

You have to change the fan speed settings in CURA if you want to do it for the whole print. Another option is to use a plugin if you want to do this from a certain height or layer.

I use an plugin called Tweak at Z, you can implement this in your CURA software.

What you can do with this plugin, is changing the settings after a few layers.

When printing ABS, i will recommend to use this plugin.

You can now turn on the fan speed after a few mm (or layers), so you prevent your work from warping (print the first few layers/mm without cooling!).

Thanks for the help.

I see I have that plugin installed but I will try with the standard Cura settings first (advanced-cool) I do not yet have any warping issues with ABS (small prints)

Groet Dree

Edit, still want to now what that setting on the machine in your materials is for?

Edited by Guest

Edit, still want to now what that setting on the machine in your materials is for?

The fan setting of the current material preset works as an (additional) multiplier.

For example:

If you define a fan speed of 50% in the slicer and use a material preset with a (max.) fan speed of 70%, your fans are actually running at 35% (0.5 * 0.7).

With other words:

The printer's "TUNE" menu always shows the value from the slicer (50% in this example), but the effective speed can be reduced by the selected material profile.