Recommended changes/hacks/improvements to UM2 (original)

Posted · Recommended changes/hacks/improvements to UM2 (original)

Hi to the community,

I bought my Ulitmaker2 2 year ago but (at least I think so) but wasn´t able to spend much time with the machine due to work related lack of time....

So I´m sitting here on a "brand new" UM2 which has still some flaws of a first gen. machine. Most severe issues is the under extrusion due to the not ideal design of the original feeder + filament holder design (at least I think. I hear this typical "klack,klack,klack" sound of the feeder skipping steps and i only can print PLA with 30mm/s with good results ). I do remember that |Robert| and geek started their feeder designs the time when I got my UM2.

Has a definite solution to these problems come up?

I find it difficult to get back to the topic and not get lost in all the possible designs you can find on youmagine or thingiverse. The plan I follow at the moment is to replace the original feeder with |Robert| V2 feeder, Change the spool holder to a bearing based solution (must likely again |Robert|'s) and make some filament guides to make the filament enter the feeder without bending.

Any other suggestions or must do recommendations?

Is it necessary to move the extruder stepper out of the casing for better cooling?

I have really a lot to ask ;)

Greetings,

lean

PS: I want to print PLA and ABS in the near future. Fancy stuff linke felxible PLA might come up later.

Posted · Recommended changes/hacks/improvements to UM2 (original)

Best thing is if you check the differences between UM2 and UM2+. Then you know what could be improved. With one or two small searches here in the forum (you should not only rely on the internal search function but maybe also use google including 'site:ultimaker.com') you will find user upgrades for all parts with potential for improvement. And you will certainly find the Olsson Block and some other parts by 3dSolex.