ABS not sticking

grinnan

Posted · ABS not sticking

I am a newbie.

I can get the first layer or two to print however, then it literally breaks its seal from the bed and enjoys the ride with the extruder. I have tried, heating to 100C-bed, 260C-extruder, glue (thick and thin). Please advise.

IMG_0145.thumb.JPG.15794c1c6e6bc90f454ff759e58feae4.JPG IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.ba3a2f083d79d3e82cc44d263062fb85.JPG

IMG_0145.thumb.JPG.15794c1c6e6bc90f454ff759e58feae4.JPG

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.ba3a2f083d79d3e82cc44d263062fb85.JPG

Posted · ABS not sticking

Hi, grinnan,

When you slice your file, have you tried turning off your fans in Cura? It sounds like the print may be coming off after your fans turn on. When I print ABS (I mostly print in PLA) I print it without the side fans on at all. You can disable them in Cura under Advanced --> Cooling --> Enable Cooling Fan.

I also frequently put a cover (usually a piece of plastic) across the front of my machine if printing ABS, just to help keep the ambient temperature inside the machine a little warmer. ABS comes off the bed so easily because it shrinks as it cools, causing it to warp, and that's what causes it to lift from the bed, so anything you can do that slows down the cooling process should help.

You may also want to try printing with a brim, so that the brim may warp rather than your main part.

Posted (edited) · ABS not sticking

I am also new to this (about a month). I used abs juice (acetone mixed with ABS scraps) and that worked really well to keep it stuck to the bed. But the smell annoyed me and the post cleanup also annoyed me a bit as I kept forgetting to add more acetone to the mixture and it got more like a slurry. I then got Kapton tape a few days ago and works like a bomb. No more glue or abs residue to worry about. Now I just need to workout how to easily get the print off the bed (the place I bought it from said they just waited for the bed to reach room temp and then they heard a crack sound and then they can just lift the print off). I have been forced to use a paint scraper, but that sometimes damages the tape and it is expensive. I just found this previous thread before I saw yours. Maybe something here can help you out.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/4955-any-advice-on-how-to-get-abs-to-stick-to-the-glass

Edited by Guest
    Left some info out about the abs juice