Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
derbroti

Solved Weird axis movement mid-print

Hi,

i just upgraded my feeder+motor to the one used in the plus model. Everything went fine and it prints... for a few layers then then one axis moves to the limit and goes back to the intended position. (In one attempt this resulted in a huge... retraction motion).

Any idea what the problem is?

Before the upgrade the printer worked fine with tinkergnomes firmware.

After the upgrade I modified the firmware by changing the e-steps, extruder directions and some default retract values because firmware wise those are the only differences between plus and non plus (standard height) machines.

Worrying that something went wrong I now used the original plus firmware but the result is the same.

In the picture I tried to print the speed-test cylinder. The diagonal line is movement from priming to skirt and skirt to print which is fine but the vertical line is where after a few layers the printer moved the Y axis to the front instead of continuing the circular motion (i switched the printer off at that point).

I also tried different gcodes with the same result.

IMG_2569.thumb.jpg.7f4494b926b49b240253bc40e79d419e.jpg

IMG_2569.thumb.jpg.7f4494b926b49b240253bc40e79d419e.jpg

Edited by Guest

There is no need to make complicated changes the tinker firmware is readily available for the um2+

I know, but I wanted to keep my settings as the + version increments the eeprom data version and you have to go through the bed levelling again and I wanted to avoid that. "Change a running system as little as possible." ;)

But I fixed it...

...tuns out my SD card failed a bit. Only a bit because it works as normal but sometimes when reading it reads just garbage -> so some gcodes were read wrong which resulted in weird movements.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1