Plugin dev: where did the name go?

markwal

Posted · Plugin dev: where did the name go?

In current master, it looks like save local no longer proposes the name of the first mesh as the filename. Back to typing in a name. However, my plugin was also trying to use the following to propose an initial file name, but it no longer works. Did the property move? If so, where to?

for n in BreadthFirstIterator(node):   if n.getMeshData():       fileName = n.getName()       if fileName:           break

where node is passed into OutputDevice.requestWrite

Before the settings rework branch merge, fileName would be the name of a mesh (the file name of the stl file). It appeared to be the first stl that was opened.

Ah right. It could be that we broke a bunch of stuff while doing this. The code does use the first name it finds as the name to write to the output device, but if no node has a name set, it returns None.

This proves that it's always a good idea to not completely trust the data that you receive from other parts of the application and build in a check if the received name is not set.

I agree. But now what is the right way to choose a good default name? It's rather annoying to force the user to type the name they just opened if they'd like the gcode name to match the stl.

That's the thing with master; This is where we do new feature development. This means you get cutting edge features, but with no guarantee that it actually works.

I will have a look if I can make a quick fix for this though.

Oh I see now, it's just a bug. I thought you'd moved the property and I just couldn't figure out where it went. Thanks for the fix.