Printer stops Printing Randomly.

Grawrie

Posted · Printer stops Printing Randomly.

Sorry, I'm a complete newbie with all of this, but I've been trying to fix my 3D printer with what little knowledge I have. As the title suggests, the printer stops printing at random times - it's not at a fixed location in the entire Gcode. I'm using Repetier in combination with Cura and also unfortunately a USB connector instead SD card (i'm just waiting for the materials for that to come in to add that stuff).

From, what I've found online, people have generally been saying it's because of the thermistor or the fact that it's a USB connetion. I don't think it'd have to do with the thermistor simply because if the thermistor malfunctioned, at least there'd be some sort of error message in the feedback log (I'm having the printer echo everything back while it prints). The Arduino shouldn't be overheating either; there's a fan blowing at it the entire time it's on. Like I said earlier, it stops printing randomly with no set location on the Gcode. It just stops and and the feedback log just sits there blinking, as if it's waiting to report something new which makes me think this whole problem has to do with a loss in the connection. And so I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that it's a USB connection.

Would it be wrong to assume the problem stems from the USB connection or could there be something else that's the source of the problem? If it is the problem, how do I fix it, besides changing it to a using a SD card?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Printer stops Printing Randomly.

People have generally said that USB connection for longer prints is a bad idea due to the potential loss of packages and a pretty dumb receiving end that doesn't really know how to handle that... So I would say, if you have the possibility to use controller with a SD card reader, try a print or two from that...

You can get RepRap smart controllers on eg. ebay for less than 10 euros, like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-LCD-Display-3D-Printer-Controller-With-Adapter-For-RAMPS-1-4-Reprap-Mendel-/141679594646?hash=item20fcc30c96:g:rMkAAOSw~OdVaCgA

Edited by Guest

People have generally said that USB connection for longer prints is a bad idea due to the potential loss of packages and a pretty dumb receiving end that doesn't really know how to handle that... So I would say, if you have the possibility to use controller with a SD card reader, try a print or two from that...

You can get RepRap smart controllers on eg. ebay for less than 10 euros, like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-LCD-Display-3D-Printer-Controller-With-Adapter-For-RAMPS-1-4-Reprap-Mendel-/141679594646?hash=item20fcc30c96:g:rMkAAOSw~OdVaCgA

I've been testing using 1 to 2 hour prints, which really isn't long I don't think. I've had it die around the 20minute mark too.

I've been testing using 1 to 2 hour prints, which really isn't long I don't think. I've had it die around the 20minute mark too.

I don't think there is a rule as such that longer prints will build up error and make the print stop... The data loss happens at random, it can be at the 1 second mark or 10 hour mark, its just more painful at the 10 hour mark, hence the "don't use it for long prints".

Sometimes loss of packages is also due to bad power supply quality. The transmitted signal is bad and so the voltage sent too.

You're not talking about what machine you have / made, could you tell us more about it ?

Hi Folks,

I'm not an Ultimaker user, however I think I have solved this problem. I use Pronterface and Arduino kit on three 3D printers and have suffered from random stops for years. Have tried software reloads, Repetier Host, short USB, USB with ferrite noise suppressors, powered USB hubs etc - no help. Finally I disabled windows updates - which worked, but one time only! Next time I used the printer, the fault returned. Until I discovered that each time I switched the PC back on - it re-enabled windows updates again. Finally I disabled the WI-FI driver in device manager. Haven't had a stop in the following two months. This 'fault' would account for random stops and the lack of stops when printing from memory cards.

If this works for you - pass it on.

Regards

Chris