Change Start/End gCode in 2.1.1

shaiss

Posted · Change Start/End gCode in 2.1.1

How do I change my start/end gCode in Cura 2.1.1? I noticed it's in the cfg files for under resources/printers, however if I update it there and import a profile from cura 15.x I noticed that end gcode is actually there twice.

So where is the proper place to set this?

Start/End Codes are in the .json printer profiles.

C:\Program Files\Cura2.1\resources\machines

Run WordPad as Administrator and then open your machine's .json file.

"machine_start_gcode" and "machine_end_gcode" are the lines you'll want to change. They're both just one big ugly line with embeded \n (newlines), so keep that same format.

Save your changes and then restart Cura.

Start/End Codes are in the .json printer profiles.

C:\Program Files\Cura2.1\resources\machines

Run WordPad as Administrator and then open your machine's .json file.

"machine_start_gcode" and "machine_end_gcode" are the lines you'll want to change. They're both just one big ugly line with embeded \n (newlines), so keep that same format.

Save your changes and then restart Cura.

Hi,

So I followed your directions to get to my machine's .json file (UMO+) and this was the code in that file..

{

"id": "ultimaker_original_plus",

"version": 1,

"name": "Ultimaker Original+",

"manufacturer": "Ultimaker",

"author": "Ultimaker",

"icon": "icon_ultimaker.png",

"platform": "ultimaker2_platform.obj",

"platform_texture": "UltimakerPlusbackplate.png",

"file_formats": "text/x-gcode",

"inherits": "ultimaker_original.json",

"pages": [

"UpgradeFirmware",

"UltimakerCheckup",

"BedLeveling"

],

"machine_settings": {

"machine_heated_bed": { "default": true }

}

}

This doesnt look right at all but I'm not very good with coding so if you can assit me a little that would be great!

All I'm trying to do is make the printer prime a little more before it starts printing so if you know a better way than to edit the start gcode let me know!

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Change Start/End gCode in 2.1.1

Ok, see the "inherits": "ultimaker_original.json", line in your .json file?

That imports settings from that .json file for the UMO+.

Open that file and copy the machine_start_gcode and machine_end_gcode lines into your UMO+ .json file after the machine_heated_bed line. Then you can add your own start/end commands to it.

P.S - I highly recommend giving you modified UMO+ profile a new filename, and ID and NAME (in the .json) file instead of modifying the original. There's less chance it will be lost if/when you update Cura.

Edited by Guest

Had same question and your reply was exactly what I needed.  However,

some of the changes I made do not appear in the gcode file generated by

CURA.  For example, I inserted following entries in the

"machine_start_gcode" line following the "M107 ;start with the fan off\n" entry:  

"G28 ;home\nG29 ;run auto bed level\n"

Nothing major, just wanted to run G29 as a final check of the bed position

before printing.   I copied the "Prusa i3" .json file, made the above mentioned

changes and renamed the copy "Prusa i3 MOD".

I saved this in the "machines" folder and then started CURA.  I selected "Prusa i3 MOD"

as my printer and saved the "sliced" file to an SD card for my printer.  In reviewing

the file, the "G28" code was inserted but the "G29" code was not.  I manually entered

the "G29" code in the file on the SD card and printed the object.  It worked as

designed.  Why would CURA omit the "G29" entry from the gcode file it created even

though it was in the "machine_start_gcode" ?

Posted (edited) · Change Start/End gCode in 2.1.1

mikey2,

Post that entire line in a reply. Maybe there is a typo that's getting rejected.

Update: Looked at the gcode documentation and G29 is not supported by the 'Sprinter' firmware. And the entry in that json file says:

"machine_gcode_flavor": { "default": "RepRap (Marlin/Sprinter)" },

So that may be why it was removed (I'm guessing here...)

So you could try changing it to just "RepRap" ..

Edited by Guest