Cura 2.1.2 slice files slower than 15.*?

Stringman

Posted · Cura 2.1.2 slice files slower than 15.*?

Hmm, obviously I'm going to keep researching this and digging through all possible settings, but at the moment, I'm seeing the strange situation where the gcode I'm generating with the new Cura 2.1.2 release takes about 20% longer to print than the gcode generated from the same model using v.15* Yep, there are a LOT of settings that influence print times, and I'm trying to make this "apples-to-apples" by making the settings the same in the two versions: initial layer speed and thickness, all print speeds, travel speeds, density, top/bottom thickness, shell thickness, adhesion type, nozzle size, layer thickness. Still, on the test file I'm looking at, the older version slices it into a 9 hour print while 2.1.2 calls it 11 hours 43 minutes. I *thought* some earlier tests seemed longer.

I mean, I get why the actual program takes longer to slice stuff - more options being processed - but for equal speed/density/thickness settings, I can't think why there should be any difference in the print times.

Because there are things that you need to check for that have nothing to do with settings. We handle a big number of edge cases much better. Old Cura had some rather naive approaches for a number of edge cases, which have now been properly addressed. But a number of these fixes do cost at a performance decrease.

That being said; the time estimation is rather rubbish. We are working on getting that better, but it just hasn't been our focus for the past few months.

That being said; the time estimation is rather rubbish. We are working on getting that better, but it just hasn't been our focus for the past few months.

Understandable. I will say that the V.15 Cura's time estimates were usually very close to spot on. It's not usually urgent for me to know much more than "this'll be done yet this morning" or "this one will probably have to run overnight."