A E3D nightmare...

Posted · A E3D nightmare...

Well...

I'm usually not the guy arguing in public, but this time it's just too much...

As we all have some trouble with our UM2 extruders and couplers are quite expensive I looked for an alternative solution and found the E3D Titan Extruder and the V6 Hotend. I've used the robert's alternative feeder for a while, quite good but not top notch. As I contacted E3D first they sent me a pre-version of the online wiki with links to the extra parts I have to print, a pre-modified firmware etc. Looked good so I ordered the parts and received them a week later

Meanwhile I got an email from E3D that the online wiki is ready. Checked it, none of the links to thingiverse worked. No print parts, no firmware, just nothing. And the link to the new carriage case for the stoppers was just gone.

Emailed them, got no answer. After three days I emailed again and the said the wiki links were activated again. Could download the hotend stuff, but still no carriage case, even after asking for the file or a link for three times, just no answer.

OK, maybe they'll need a little longer, let's start with the extruder. After a few minutes I noticed that they've sent me the wrong bowden adapter. Emailed again, and they shipped me the right one with fedex express (the only thing that worked!)

So build everything together, changed the extruder in 10 minutes and sent the new stepper rate to my UM2. Now I got some stall issues. Changed the voltage of the stepper, no change, still stalling. Changed the speed-up, no change. OK, not what I've expected, but let's try a manual PLA change. Oh, wait, the extruder is that tight you have absolutely no chance to pull the material out of it. At least this means it's quality and fits perfect, but if it's not working... ARGH!

Meanwhile I asked for the firmware because that link is dead too. Got the answer that it is still beta and they won't send it. Well, ok, but I've ordered all that stuff because of the service included and pomised. My last email is still unanswered, two days ago, and there's absolutely no help as they only reffer to the crapy online wiki and the reprap wiki. Big help. NOT.

So I spend 200 pounds for an extruder I can't use because they can't tell me what settings to change on my UM2 to get it work. Can't use the V6 because of missing prints which I need but don't get from them. This is truly the worst documentation and customer support I've EVER experienced dealing with 3D print stuff. By the way: Still waiting for the print files for the carriage cases.

I'll send all the parts back to them claiming my money back. If you're thinking about a change of your extruder or hotend just look somewhere else. If your willing to lose a lot of time, nerves and get gray hair before you pull it out with both hands give it a try.

Any other UM2 users with a titan extruder that works and some tipps in spare? Just curious.

• Like 2

Posted · A E3D nightmare...

Thanks for letting us know. I was looking at that extruder as a possibility months ago. I figured they'd have the wrinkles ironed out by now.

I chose Bondtech extruders instead and have been very happy with those: Good customer support, fast shipping, easy installation, affordable, and they work great

• 1 month later...