3d printing on to...

mattg

Posted · 3d printing on to...

Hi, I have a project coming up where I would like to 3d print an object onto a plastic sheet so that the two pieces are permanent. I know I could print two objects and bond them, or use dual extruders, but I want it to bond to base sheet because the model has a low height and many separate sections.

Similar to 3d printing text onto the base sheet if you like.

If I was to 3d print the base the quality would be no where near as good and as I have a few to do it would be labour intensive.

Anyway, before I start experimenting, has anyone had any experience of this, or have any pointers?

I know the mechanics of it, eg positioning and leveling off the sheet to start, but I am wandering the best choice of materials for both extruding and the base sheet, and whether I should cover the base sheet with a bonding agent which won't t affect the asphetics. I am looking forward to solving this one and would appreciate any tips or guidance that anybody could suggest!

Thanks,

Matt

Posted · 3d printing on to...

Hi, thank you for your post!

Do you have a certain range of plastics you can choose from or are there no limitations?

How big are the base plates you want to use, would they fit in an Ultimaker?

I think a lot of plastics would work as a base plate, but I think you should check if they don't have a coating. Especially plastics with a low glass temp would merge with PLA/ABS.

A plastic with a high temp may go unaffected when the 3D printed material is applied and you probably want them to merge.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies