Hot End broke above the alublock

lumeria

Posted · Hot End broke above the alublock

My hot is broken. It was leaking filament on top of the aluminium block. In preventing filament melting over the temp and heater elements I removed the hot end. Trying to fasten the piece on top of the alu-block, it broke off...

Just did 1 print on a brand new machine and already in need of a new hot end... :oops:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

you mean that lovely copper pipe went.... POP and snapped in the middle, leaving the half the copper in the alumium hot block and the other half in your hand... I KNOW THAT FEELING !

they are damn delicate things those copper pieces. I snapped one trying to tighten it after some leaking and POP.... now i got a new one, added it and it still leaked a little (without me adding more pressure) I waited a few prints and then the leaking closed up on itself.... now working perfectly :-)

I had the same problem at the very beginning. Did something wrong when mounting the brass pipe upside down with the result of jamming, leakage --> removing, cleaning, mounting again, and finally breaking both the pipe and the nozzle.

I ordered a replacement, but the pipe was out of stock. Then I went to our workshop and got a replacement within half an hour: pipe and nozzle in one piece, and all my problems are gone.

I guess it is a little design weakness to have two brass parts mounted against each other into an alu-block having a different thermal expansion coefficient: at 200°C they are no longer tight, tightening them at this temperature and removing when cold let them break easily. I have to admit that I haven't read the manual carefully i first place; it is written there to dismount the hot end at high temperature. But my solution seems to be much better.

Peter