Ultimaker 2+ technical documentation

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ technical documentation

Dear Ultimaker Community,

im new to this forum and i'm planning to try some modifications on our half year old Ultimaker 2+ Extended.

I'm an engineering student, searching a project for bachelor thesis, and maybe an Ultimaker modification will be suitable. My special field is production technology.

Parallel to my study, I have been working in our family business for a couple of years now. We are developing and manufacturing medical devices and medical supply units, so I have access to machinery like cnc milling and turning machines.

I'm specially interested in making an enclosure (which shouln't be that hard) and a new approach on dual extrusion.

Right now, I'm having hard times to get some information about the ultimaker.

I found the 3d-models on Github, but I can't find an electrical documentation.

I have these questions by the moment:

• Where to connect a second stepper/temp-sensor/heater for dual extrusion?
  • Is there an official firmware which supports dual extrusion?
  • Is there really a problem with the power supply? I read that you get trouble when using two 35W heaters, but two 25W are fine. What is the Ultimaker standard? 25W?
  • Is there the possibility to connect an small stepper motor (just for tool change)?

Can I get this kind of information at any place? I don't want to burden the community with every small question i have.

Thank you for any help, I hope I can return it someday.

Regards,

Alex

Where to connect a second stepper/temp-sensor/heater for dual extrusion?

Is there an official firmware which supports dual extrusion?

On the board you have the second heater/pt100/extruder. Read the pdf of the board googling 'github ultimaker 2'

Official firmware no. I think tinkergnome firmware or just editing your own Marlin it's the way to go.

Is there really a problem with the power supply? I read that you get trouble when using two 35W heaters, but two 25W are fine. What is the Ultimaker standard? 25W?

Um2 non plus used 25W so in a future a second 25W could be added. Um2+ uses 35w since they officially said that there won't be dual from them on um2 (but there are a few mods that are in progress https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21676-dual-nozzle-ultimaker-2?page=last#reply-150491 ). For my dual tests on umo+ (same board) I used a meanwell 280W power supply since umo+ uses by default 40W heaters.

Is there the possibility to connect an small stepper motor (just for tool change)?

As long it's 4 wire bipolar I don't see why not. But also, if you want to make a servo to rotate the hotend or you need a third motor then you will need to find how since the board only has 1 extra stepper for the second extruder.

Is there the possibility to connect an small stepper motor (just for tool change)?

As long it's 4 wire bipolar I don't see why not. But also, if you want to make a servo to rotate the hotend or you need a third motor then you will need to find how since the board only has 1 extra stepper for the second extruder.

Tank you, found it. That's the point, the extra motor will be used for the second extruder, so I need to find a way for an third (extra extra) stepper motor. Is there any way to get a signal from any unused pins or connectors? I can connect the small stepper by using extra electronics, but is there something on the mainboard which i could use to get a signal to the extra electronics?

There are a few unused pins on the board, I know that there's a 5v pin somewhere.

On the PDF 2.1.1 there's a list of all the unused pins.

Maybe other fast solution could be using the led pwm as a signal to an external board.

Can someone help me find an unused 5V pin? I'm not very good at reading circuit diagrams. Would like to give a signal to an arduino. LED pwm might work, but i would prefer a 5V pin.

As far as I know I can control any pin with the M42 command? Is that right?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ technical documentation

Are these the unused pins that are controllable by the M42-Command?

Pins.thumb.PNG.36f50abf098f832da43ae2ee4ac678d1.PNG

Sorry that I can't figure it out by myself, but im really not good at reding these circuit diagrams..

Edit: So what are the Pins that are 5V?

Pins.thumb.PNG.36f50abf098f832da43ae2ee4ac678d1.PNG

Edited by Guest