Changing filaments...would it get the printer into trouble?

Posted · Changing filaments...would it get the printer into trouble?

Hello everybody.. I have an ultimaker extended 2+ and I'm currently printing with the basic PLA filament given. I want to buy new special types of filaments. But would it cause any problems if I keep changing my filaments while and for printing? Like say I have steel pla and then later I use a different filament for a different print, would it cause any problems in the long run?

Hi,

What can happen when you change filaments:

If you change from PLA to ABS for example, and then back to PLA it can happen that some residues of ABS are still in the nozzle, and because the temperature for PLA is much lower than ABS, it can clog the nozzle.

This is the same for any type of filament really, if the temperatures are different it can happen (but it can also not happen :) )

As for other types of filament, SteelFill, CarbonFill, GlowFill for example are abrassive for brass nozzles, so you need a stainless steel nozzle (or hardened steel)

Can you be more specific on type of material? In one sense it's fine: change materials all you want. In some other senses it's not so fine. PLA is an amazing material but there are some interesting alternatives. What property are you hoping for in your other material? Flexibility? temperature resistance?

Hi,

What can happen when you change filaments:

If you change from PLA to ABS for example, and then back to PLA it can happen that some residues of ABS are still in the nozzle, and because the temperature for PLA is much lower than ABS, it can clog the nozzle.

This is the same for any type of filament really, if the temperatures are different it can happen (but it can also not happen :))

As for other types of filament, SteelFill, CarbonFill, GlowFill for example are abrassive for brass nozzles, so you need a stainless steel nozzle (or hardened steel)

Oh!! Thank you :) so I shouldn't print wood fill,glow fill,copper fill etc in brass nozzles?

Is that rite?

Can you be more specific on type of material?  In one sense it's fine: change materials all you want.  In some other senses it's not so fine.  PLA is an amazing material but there are some interesting alternatives. What property are you hoping for in your other material?  Flexibility?  temperature resistance?

I just wanted to change and print with different types of pla and also use different types of materials like wood fill,copper fill etc. I really didn't want to use abs.would the problem still prevail? Thank you for your answer though :)

I'm not certain about woodfill - I don't think that will wear down nozzles. But brassfill does and I hear glowfill is even worse. It's okay to use brass nozzles on those - just beware that you might have to throw it away after printing a roll of glowfill. Or buy a steel nozzle or even harder nozzle. 3dsolex has steel nozzles. 0.5mm.

I'm not certain about woodfill - I don't think that will wear down nozzles.  But brassfill does and I hear glowfill is even worse.  It's okay to use brass nozzles on those - just beware that you might have to throw it away after printing a roll of glowfill.  Or buy a steel nozzle or even harder nozzle.  3dsolex has steel nozzles.  0.5mm.

Oh so you suggest that I should go to different nozzle alternatives? Or buy new ones after I print with those type of filaments rite? Thanks for your reply it was really helpful :)

Well woodfill is also more likely to clog a .4mm nozzle than regular PLA because of the wood particles which can occasionally get stuck in the nozzle. So for woodfill I recommend a larger nozzle such as a .6mm.

Brassfill should be fine with a .4mm nozzle. I did a brassfill print with .4mm last week.

Glowfill should be through a steel nozzle.

99% of materials work fine with the default nozzle (nylon, ABS, ngen, pla/pha, polycarbonate) but woodfill does better with larger nozzles and a few need harder nozzles (carbonfill, glowfill, steelfill).