Custom fan duct keeps warping from heat , how to prevent this problem any suggestions

Posted · Custom fan duct keeps warping from heat , how to prevent this problem any suggestions

Hi Im using the ultimaker original with a custom printed fan duct and its so annoying im on my 3rd one now because the thing keeps warping then eventually touches the heater block and melts, how can i fix this any suggestions please ?.

I downloaded the fan duct from here its a pretty popular choice http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17768 .

DSCF1625.thumb.JPG.4d9df0412c67a5995d0d9b80dee6bff4.JPG

DSCF1624.thumb.JPG.ef38cc13c7e8912f559c9b1231678d92.JPG

DSCF1625.thumb.JPG.4d9df0412c67a5995d0d9b80dee6bff4.JPG

DSCF1624.thumb.JPG.ef38cc13c7e8912f559c9b1231678d92.JPG

Posted · Custom fan duct keeps warping from heat , how to prevent this problem any suggestions

O yeah i forgot to say the duct is printed out of PLA and i mainly print at low temps, 200-210C

a) use a different duct design that does not get so close to the print-head,

b) print it with ABS or polycarbonate, which tolerate higher temps than PLA

a) use a different duct design that does not get so close to the print-head,

b) print it with ABS or polycarbonate, which tolerate higher temps than PLA

Hi thanks for the reply , any suggestions for a fan duct which is best for printing small parts ?

Basically make sure it will not get too close to the nozzle.

@Ca3PO4

First print the fan duct on something that can at least resist 80C, ngen, xt, pla-tec, etc.

Second, try to apply Aluminium tape that can resist 140C, there are lots of tapes that resist that level and there are tapes that can go up to much more, but in my experience with 140C alutape my fan caps haven't bend or deform much.

Other fast solution, but won't last more than a few months and you will need to reapply it's to use kapton tape. The inside covered by it might deform a little, but it shouldn't bend as much.

The biggest problem you will get with pla, it's that all the time the fans are off the pla will get heat from everywhere and it starts to deform quite fast at 60C + the weight of the fan won't help. Also the heat from the umo block it's around 150C at 3mm after a while, so that fan cap will have troubles resisting the heat without some aluminium foil to keep the high temps from hitting the printed part.

Carbon filaments (at least formfutura) compresses on itself when exposed to heat, so it works quite nice.

Worse case scenario you can build a cover to block the heat from hitting the fan cap with a soda can, but carefull because they can do nasty cuts while handling or if you don't file the metal after.

@Ca3PO4

First print the fan duct on something that can at least resist 80C, ngen, xt, pla-tec, etc.

Second, try to apply Aluminium tape that can resist 140C, there are lots of tapes that resist that level and there are tapes that can go up to much more, but in my experience with 140C alutape my fan caps haven't bend or deform much.

Other fast solution, but won't last more than a few months and you will need to reapply it's to use kapton tape. The inside covered by it might deform a little, but it shouldn't bend as much.

The biggest problem you will get with pla, it's that all the time the fans are off the pla will get heat from everywhere and it starts to deform quite fast at 60C + the weight of the fan won't help. Also the heat from the umo block it's around 150C at 3mm after a while, so that fan cap will have troubles resisting the heat without some aluminium foil to keep the high temps from hitting the printed part.

Carbon filaments (at least formfutura) compresses on itself when exposed to heat, so it works quite nice.

Worse case scenario you can build a cover to block the heat from hitting the fan cap with a soda can, but carefull because they can do nasty cuts while handling or if you don't file the metal after.

I will try it with the aluminium thank for the advice.

You can reprint it, remodel it, or attach something to it.

I use Izzy's design. It leaves good ventilation around the print head, and gives easy access for cleaning it. https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-fan-duct