A new dual extrusion design - what do I need from UM for the prototype?

Posted · A new dual extrusion design - what do I need from UM for the prototype?

Hi,

I'm currently working on a new approach on dual extrusion. The design in CAD is almost finished, firmware problem is theoretically solved. I plan to machine the parts for the prototype in the course of the next weeks.

When everything works as planned, the design will prevent oozing without seperatly heating and cooling the nozzles. A wipe tower will not be needed.

I plan to use two 25W Heaters because of the power supply. That should work atm, I don't think we will need more for ABS and PLA because they don't have to cool down when they are not in use.

I decided to go with tho olsson blocks or the moment. I want to use the feeder of the 2+ version, but the heaters of the 2 (bc they are 25 W). What kind of temp sensor should I use? I guess the glass fiber one is better?

I made a list of things I need from Ultimaker as spare parts for this project (Info: I have the 2+ version).

• olsson nozzle 0.40 - 2313 - 2pcs
  • PT 100BB sensor glassfiber - 2288 - 1 pcs (or better pt.no. 1185?)
  • Heater Cartridge 24V 25W - 1268 - 2 pcs
  • Grip Axis - 1960 - 1 pcs
  • Idler Spring - 1961 - 1 pcs
  • Tension Indicator - 1962 - 1pcs
  • Feeder casing Part A-left - 1963 - 1pcs
  • Feeder casing Part B-left - 1965 - 1pcs
  • Feeder lever part A - 1967 - 1pcs
  • Feeder lever part B - 1968 - 1pcs
  • spur gear 1M 11T - 1969 - 1pcs
  • spur gear 1M 36T - 1970 - 1pcs
  • Threaded standoff - 1971 - 2pcs
  • idler wheel - 1972 - 1pcs
  • bearing idler wheel - 1973 - 1pcs
  • bearing feeder axis - 1974 - 2pcs
  • Filament Guide Insert - 1976 - 1pcs
  • Feeder Motor - 1977 - pcs
  • Bowden tube - 1266 - 1pcs
  • Tube Coupling Collet - 1069 - 2pcs
  • Clamp Clip - 1071 - 2pcs
  • Feeder Ring - 1279 - 1pcs

Did I forget anything?

After a few tests I will give you more info about the design. I don't want to release anything if it doesn't work properly.

Posted · A new dual extrusion design - what do I need from UM for the prototype?

You may not need the treaded standoff 1971.

Depends how you will mount the feeder. This is threaded insert for mounting the feeder if you drill holes in the printer back panel.

Sounds good that you have a plan.

You may not need the treaded standoff 1971.

Depends how you will mount the feeder. This is threaded insert for mounting the feeder if you drill holes in the printer back panel.

Sounds good that you have a plan.

Since I can't even find that part in the main assemlby, you might be right that I dont't need it.

I want to mount the second feeder box on the first one, flipping the second stepper outside, like, I think Ulticreatr did that? I don't want to modify the case atm.

Does anyone know about that glass fiber sensor? Is is compatibe withthe old 25W heater?

I think I already have one glass fiber, because i have the + version? So I would just need one..

You can use either. The glass fiber is just more accurate due to how it's manufacturered and it doesn't matter what wattage heater is pared with it.