Help: Upgraded TinkerGnome firmware, now I get X or Y switch broken

krys

Posted · Help: Upgraded TinkerGnome firmware, now I get X or Y switch broken

Hi folks,

I have run into a strange new issue and I am not sure how to resolve it. Some help would be much appreciated. :)

I have, up until yesterday, been running @Tinkergnome 16.07 on my UM2+. Today, I upgrades to the stock version in Cura 2.1.3, then upgraded again to Tinkergnome 16.08.1.

Now, homing the head does not work correctly and I get the error message "X or Y switch broken". Using Expert funtions -> Move axis, I can move the Y and Z axes, but X does not move.

Here is the weird part: Returning to stock firmware either the 15.x that comes with Cura 2.1.3 or the 15.y that comes with Cura 15.whatever_is_current, the X axis moves just fine and homing works just fine. So it is not hardware. But, even returning now to Tinkergnome 16.07, which worked yesterday, now no longer works, giving the same error as 16.08.1.

And that is where I am stuck. Can someone help?

Is this a bug in Tinker or the new Cura 2.1.3 firmware? Is this some weird missing e-steps or motor current or something? I am guessing it is something new saved to EEPROM, but I am not sure how to diagnose this. I looked in Motion control in Tinker and there are numbers there, but I do not know what I am looking at.

(Ideally I would like to not have to do factory reset and lose my lovely usage stats, but I really like and need TinkerGnome's firmware.)

Anyway, any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

I am guessing it is something new saved to EEPROM, but I am not sure how to diagnose this. I looked in Motion control in Tinker and there are numbers there, but I do not know what I am looking at.

It's probably not motor current or steps, that would affect the standard firmware too.

My suspicion is the "printing area". Can you take a look at this? If in doubt - take pictures of the relevant screens.

(Ideally I would like to not have to do factory reset and lose my lovely usage stats, but I really like and need TinkerGnome's firmware.)

The runtime statistics are preserved during a factory reset, but i would make a backup of the material profiles, if you've made customizations...

• Like 1

I have, up until yesterday, been running Tinkergnome 16.07 on my UM2+. Today, I upgrades to the stock version in Cura 2.1.3, then upgraded again to Tinkergnome 16.08.1.

Update:

Ultimaker has moved some settings in EEPROM to different addresses recently...

and that overwrites the "tinker" settings that are already stored there...

So... if you switch back and forth between the standard and the tinker variant... a factory reset is mandatory from now on... (at least for the + models)

• Like 1

Hi @Tinkergnome. Thanks for responding. :)

I see. So, to upgrade I need a factory reset. Sad Panda! :(

Out of curiosity, do you think that if I downgraded to an earlier stock version before the address changes, then put in the old Tinker 16.07 that I could get back to what I had before? It was working fine for me.

I probably would not stay that way, stuck in time as it were, but I am just curious if you think I could go back in time by downgrading.

Thanks very much. And thanks for your firmware! I really like it!

Out of curiosity, do you think that if I downgraded to an earlier stock version before the address changes, then put in the old Tinker 16.07 that I could get back to what I had before?

Downgrading without a factory reset will not restore any settings in EEPROM - and not all settings can be changed with gcodes or the printers menu - no luck.

Posted (edited) · Help: Upgraded TinkerGnome firmware, now I get X or Y switch broken

Downgrading without a factory reset will not restore any settings in EEPROM - and not all settings can be changed with gcodes or the printers menu -  no luck.

Okay, so I am buggered.  Either I stay stock, since it is working, or I give up my stats and do a factory reset.  So be it.  Factory reset, here I come. :(

Thanks for the help! You rock! :)

... (hmm... now I am thinking about a stats editor patch for the firmware.  It could make a fun learning project, given my existing Arduino and coding experience.) ;)

EDIT: See my next post.

Edited by Guest

I am guessing it is something new saved to EEPROM, but I am not sure how to diagnose this. I looked in Motion control in Tinker and there are numbers there, but I do not know what I am looking at.

It's probably not motor current or steps, that would affect the standard firmware too.

My suspicion is the "printing area". Can you take a look at this? If in doubt - take pictures of the relevant screens.

The runtime statistics are preserved during a factory reset, but i would make a backup of the material profiles, if you've made customizations...

D'oh! I just saw this post. I totally missed it before. Not sure how that happened. :D

Okay, so I will look at printing area before I reset. Also, I will reset and keep my stats, so I am happy! Happy Panda!

Lol. Thanks very much!

Hi again,

Just a small update:

1) I checked the Printing area settings, as suggested. They were indeed all set to 0. So, you were right about that being the source of the issue.

2) I did a factory reset with the stock version from Cura 2.1.3. Then I put in Tinker 16.08.1 and factory reset again. This fixed the original issue and the Print area setting were set properly, but I ran into a new issue.

3) In 16.08.1, after factory reset, when I tried printing something it would not raise the bed all the way up and started printing in air. More specifically, It would move the nozzle to front, heat up, raise the bed part way, start purging, but then start printing without raising the bed the rest of the way. :(

4) After trying a bunch of things, I downgraded to 16.07 and factory reset again. This made everything work properly. I am not sure what is up with 16.08.1, but it does not like me. Anyway, I will stick with 16.07 for now.

5) Question for you @TinkerGnome: Why is the 16.07 release not listed anymore on your Github releases page? Do you replace your "in development" release and only keep the latest up? Or is it something else? If you do replace releases, why is 16.03.1 there, for example? Is that the last stable version or something? Just wondering about your workflow/release strategy, from one code monkey to another. :)

Anyway, thanks again for the help! :)

Well.... "tinker" and "stable version" are mutually exclusive... :)

But if you want... call V16.03.1 the "most stable" at the moment.

The intention for 16.07 was to make some improvements for USB printing, that worked - but was not well testet and leads to some problems with UltiGCode and sd-card printing (e.g. don't use the pause function with V16.07.1) - that's why i removed the binaries from the release page.

V16.08 was intended as a replacement for 16.07 and has some of these bugs fixed, but there are still some left (obviously...)

I have added some remarks at the GitHub release page right now.

But brave guys like you are testing and reporting - and i'm working on it (your no. 3) is new...).

I want to make more extensive tests this time, but there will be a "more stable" release later this month (probably... :))

• Like 1

Ah, okay, I see. So if someone wants your firmware, but does not want the bleeding edge, then (currently) 16.03.1 will get the job done for most people. 16.07..08..etc is YMMV and Here Be Dragons. :) Got it.

Thanks very much for all your hard work! Glad I could help find a new bug to wrestle! :p

16.07..08..etc is YMMV and Here Be Dragons. :) Got it.

Hey, just to clarify...

The "YMMV" was totally unintended! 66_EmoticonsHDcom.png

I'll give you an update, when the next release is ready for wrestling :)

Posted (edited) · Help: Upgraded TinkerGnome firmware, now I get X or Y switch broken

Hey, just to clarify...

The "YMMV" was totally unintended! 66_EmoticonsHDcom.png

You mean you don't secretly put in bits of code to induce random failures for the sheer evil joy of it all?  Man, you are missing out on all the fun! :p

Edited by Guest

You mean you don't secretly put in bits of code to induce random failures for the sheer evil joy of it all?  Man, you are missing out on all the fun! :p

I had some spare time yesterday and followed your suggestion... There's a new release with new secret codes - you have permission to proceed and find the random failures! :p

Tinker V16.08.2

I had some spare time yesterday and followed your suggestion... There's a new release with new secret codes - you have permission to proceed and find the random failures! :p

Tinker V16.08.2

I finally had a chance to try 16.08.2 out this weekend. So far so good. I will keep poking it with a stick and see if it bites me. I will let you know. :)

Also, something I experienced only twice in 16.07 was that part way through the occasional print, it would stop and say error trying to print outside build volume, or some such. I was able to use (even without power-cycling) the Recover option and recover the prints just fine, so no worries, but I thought I would mention it. It did not happen often, only twice total. It failed with different models and at different Z heights. But then, would recover just fine. Anyway, maybe it is already fixed in this new version. I will watch for it.

Also also, thank you very much for the Recover Print option! It maybe be slow, but it is super cool! :D

Anyway, I will speak up it I notice anything else. Otherwise, thanks very much for the great firmware. I, for one, appreciate your hard work. :)