Printrbot Metal Simple + Cura 2.3 Beta + Pronterface from Cura 15.04.4

Charles320

Posted · Printrbot Metal Simple + Cura 2.3 Beta + Pronterface from Cura 15.04.4

I use a Printrbot Metal Simple from the build-it-yourself kit, and have been using Cura 15.04.4 for a long time. I like the Pronterface interaction in which I can start and stop printing, measure and set the extruder temperature, and move the print head around. Most of my prints are need some hand-holding, which is usually tinkering with the individual settings until I get satisfactory prints. I do a fair amount of clean-up of my print bed and extruder head on failed prints.

I eagerly downloaded Cura 2.3 Beta, and was very happy to see support for Printrbot Simple printers. At the same time, I noticed that the Pronterface option is no longer available. So it looked like I could either explore the new features in Cura 2.3 Beta, or keep the Pronterface for my own troubleshooting cycles, but not both.

However, there might be a best-of-both-worlds alternative. I'm trying my first print right now which I sliced with Cura 2.3, then saved as a .gcode file, which I then opened in Cura 15.04.4, and am printing through the Pronterface.

Charles

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Charles,

Did exporting the gcode into Cura 15 work for you? I tried it and it seems to work via the layer view, but I won't have a chance to actually try it on my machine until tomorrow.

The main reason I was hoping to use the newer version was to use the xy compensation to try and ensure hole sizes would turn out fine (so I can finally forget about having to compensate the model, or worry that dimensions were going to come out wrong).

• 1 year later...

Yes, exporting the gcode from Cura 2 to Cura 15 totally works. Sadly it looks like if you have any new features turned on like some of the fancy new infills it just reverts back to the classic grid style infill.