Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
greengecko

how to: stl to step or other usable 3D format file

Hi

I quite often would like to customise an stl file say from youmagine or thingiverse. for this to be comfortable I would like to convert an stl file to a usable 3D file format ( preferable step file).

I know that stl is basically only a description of triangles and a 3D file format such as step uses nurbs or other things, but is it possible to convert stl to a good format.

my preferred 3D software is Moi, but happy to use blender ( though the interface is geeky to say the least) or auto desk software (I have education versions available) or sketchup, meshmixer, meshlab or open scad or any other freeware for the conversion.

any hint how to do that could be great.

thanks in advance.