Problems printing with Taulman Nylon 618

WXML

Posted · Problems printing with Taulman Nylon 618

This is my first time printing with Nylon. All my experience lies with PLA. As you can see below the print quality is horrific. You can also see a poor dye job on it as well. I will list the settings this printed on, as well as the previous attempts settings. I will state the issues that I am having and then list my questions at the end.

After dying the nylon I baked it in the oven for ~8 hours, then I air sealed it. I have tried speeds ranging from 15mm/sec to 40mm/sec. For the slower speed I started off at 230 degrees moving up to 260 for the faster speeds. Initially, I had a really, really hard time with warping. I tried a heated bed (60-80 degrees) both with and without PVA. I tried a cold bed with blue tape (I always clean my tape with isopropyl). I also built a make shift housing unit for the UM2 as to prevent any un-wanted breezes; this didn't work either. I finally used a raft and brim for the best adhesion. I could see from the beginning that this would be a bad print, but I also wanted to see if I could get it to finish. I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong. My goal is to print this gyroid really big and with thin walls. We have K-12 students come to our lab a lot and check out our research (math), and I feel it would be cool to have a math object they can stretch out, such as the pieces featured here.. So, here are my questions:

1.) Is the warping issues I'm having common? I have done a lot of research, and tried numerous ways, but a lot of the ways I have failed with seem to be successful for other people.

2.) How do I accomplish the super flexibility as seen in the blog post?

3.) What in the hell am I doing to make my print look so crappy?

Here is my G-Code.

20160915_100548.thumb.jpg.174bf5a4d7c5608efaad558170d7d71c.jpg

20160915_100548.thumb.jpg.174bf5a4d7c5608efaad558170d7d71c.jpg

Hi WXML,

I do not know anything about gyroids or anything.  And I am no expert on nylon, but here is a couple things I have learned since I got my printer:

1) Nylon warps worse than ABS, in general, apparently.

2) 618 was one of Taulman's earliest versions.  After that their Bridge nylon claims less warping and easier printing.

3) Have Bridge and it prints quite easily, but it still warps quite a bit, so use  brims, glue, etc.

4) I have read on the forums here that 618 is quite hard to work with.  Bridge is easier.  But there are old forum poses about printing 618 specifically.

So, not super helpful, but hope it helps a bit.  Good luck! :)

Hi WXML,

I do not know anything about gyroids or anything.  And I am no expert on nylon, but here is a couple things I have learned since I got my printer:

1) Nylon warps worse than ABS, in general, apparently.

2) 618 was one of Taulman's earliest versions.  After that their Bridge nylon claims less warping and easier printing.

3) Have Bridge and it prints quite easily, but it still warps quite a bit, so use  brims, glue, etc.

4) I have read on the forums here that 618 is quite hard to work with.  Bridge is easier.  But there are old forum poses about printing 618 specifically.

So, not super helpful, but hope it helps a bit.  Good luck! :)

Thank you very much for the response! I will definitely check Bridge out.