Poor quality when object is rotated?

Wisar

Posted (edited) · Poor quality when object is rotated?

Every once in awhile something stumps me with my printers.  This is a test print of some tiny little reinforcing panels for one of my bridge designs.  The little dots are meant to be bolts or rivets.  The print is done using a 250 micron nozzle and 125 micron layers in PLA.  Simplify3D was the slicer. UM2+ the printer.

The panels printed at top, in normal orientation are fine, but the ones that are rotated by 45 degrees are not.  I suspect this is a belt tension issue but am not sure!  Any suggestions?

IMG_5706.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-09-30%2Bat%2B6.45.36%2BAM.png

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-09-30%2Bat%2B6.45.58%2BAM.png

I am also a little curious as to why my second layer of dots seems to show some of them shifting?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Poor quality when object is rotated?

I think you are right, either about belt tension or tension of the grub screws on your pulleys...

All those little dots mean a lot of travel moves, and missing just a single step on your motor, the slightest slip or play in your pulleys or belts, will result in some artifacts on such small details.

I would suggest trying to tighten those things up, and maybe lower your travel speed a bit (don't know what it is at now)

You can also try some z-lift when doing travel moves, to make sure your nozzle doesn't collide with the very small and intricate bolt-pillars.

Posted · Poor quality when object is rotated?

I think you are right, either about belt tension or tension of the grub screws on your pulleys...

All those little dots...

...well, the little dots printed much better just by slowing down but even after letting the long belts adjust themselves, tightening all the grub screws, and making sure the short belts are nice and tight...I am still getting very obvious extrusion lines on the 45 degree rotated print but not on the normal one.