Simplify 3d / STL reading problems

fergazz

Posted (edited) · Simplify 3d / STL reading problems

Hi there Ultimaker family!! After two weeks testing Simplify3d have some doubts to report.

After some experiments and reading posts in the community I realized that S3D, although quite complete, has some errors in reading imported STL objects compared to Cura. I started to work better the face problems when modeling (using 3dmax and STL Check modifier and viewing with xview) and I have used the Netfabb basic and/or app to fix the parts as I noted that S3D repair is terrible or maybe I don't know how to use it yet.

Here a photo of trouble viewing parts, the left came from Netfabb basic and the right was approved on STL Check from 3dmax:

Simplify3d_doubts.thumb.jpg.368664d679961fc767057518bbc8dc9d.jpg

Note that there are some gaps in different places of both objects (same print settings)... the question is: Those gaps interferes in the final print or it comes as a problem only in the preview visualization?

For customers I still making my jobs with Cura for only then migrate permanently. I made some successfully test prints creating two processes for the same impression (bottom half printing with 0.2 layer high and top half with 0.1)... I was impressed with the new possibilities that this software can offer as well as in support generation and infill variation. My only negative point by now is above mencioned.

Cheers for all Ultimaker's extruders!

Simplify3d_doubts.thumb.jpg.368664d679961fc767057518bbc8dc9d.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Simplify 3d / STL reading problems

That gaps are coasting, check travel moves and you will see that the head moves without extruding on that parts to release hotend pressure (you can adjust the amount or remove it completely).

And yea cura is amazing fixing bad stls, s3d on the other side needs perfect stl, so netfabb cloud is a must if you didn't made them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Simplify 3d / STL reading problems

That gaps are coasting, check travel moves and you will see that the head moves without extruding on that parts to release hotend pressure (you can adjust the amount or remove it completely).

Good to know that isn't a modeling problem hehee. What about those coasting distance, it's usefull for what? Just want to know when I should use it... in that case it is located in a weak area cause there is a boolean subtraction cilinder inside that box.

thank you for this advise and other posts related to simpify3d

Edited by Guest
    boolean *subtraction / other corrections

Coasting 'stops' extruding so at the end of a loop the pressure inside the hotend is the one 'printing'. It helps to avoid blobs at high speeds where the pressure is bigger (pressure from the bowden pushing filament). Is helpful, under some circumstances, to remove blops, z marks, etc etc. But isn't an automatic feature, depends on the material, heat, speed.

• Like 1

more pressure = bigger coasting distance (0,5 as a defaut)

so... for this small object, printing with PLA at low speed and 0.4 nozzle I will try to reduce this distance a little just to play around and whatch the results :p

I would love to reduce z-scar and blobs, I will keep making tests to avoid it.

Cheers!