Has anyone been able to do the Atomic Method on a UM2+?

jambalyle

Posted · Has anyone been able to do the Atomic Method on a UM2+?

I'm no stranger to the atomic method and have used it a bunch of times on UM2's with the Olsson block upgrade.

I just got a UM2+ and am trying to follow their best practices for changing out nozzles by doing an Atomic clean of the nozzle before taking it out. Only problem is I can't get it to work like I used to.

In the past I would heat the nozzle up 210 or 230 depending on what I had loaded, then back it down to 85-105 and pull up. Worked every time with a very satisfying sound.

Now on the Um2+ if I let it get down to 100 the filament won't come up. It feels stuck. I have to increase the temp to around 120ish, but when I pull up it doesn't make the same sound. There's also clearly still filament in the nozzle. It seems like the filament is not a consistent temperature. Like the stuff at the print head is where it's supposed to be, but the segment that sits above the nozzle and just below the heat break and 3rd fan isn't.

It's also totally possible that I'm missing something. If you've gotten the atomic method to work on a UM2+ hook a brother up and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Cheers,

Posted (edited) · Has anyone been able to do the Atomic Method on a UM2+?

100°C seems a bit warm still. I do atomic pulls on my UM2+ at 80°C. So heat up to whatever temp was used for the filament used, wait till its back down to 80°C and pull. Works great.

Edit: Oh, and while it cools down, keep some pressure on the filament. Just enough to make sure you got the filament in nice and tight.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · Has anyone been able to do the Atomic Method on a UM2+?

Update:

I tried my usual settings again but with some different filament and it worked as expected.

So it seems like my problem was the filament and not the printer. That's still worrisome since it was the Ultimaker PLA that shipped with the machine though...